asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hillery <chill...@hillery.land>
Subject Re: Migration of git repository
Date Tue, 02 Jun 2015 23:15:56 GMT
On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 11:51 AM, Ian Maxon <imaxon@uci.edu> wrote:

> We rely on maven's versioning and dependency resolution regardless of the
> directory structure. There's no avoiding it.

Yes, but we can avoid depending on it more.

> The idea is to do something like what we did a (long) while back with repo,
> basically. The "tlp" pom would move to the root.

I was afraid of that. So that to me is actually much worse than simply
combining the repositories. That's merging them together into a single
Maven project that will always be built monolithically. I very much believe
that that will lower our ability to ensure that Hyracks is a stand-alone
project that can be delivered separately, and will definitely make it
harder for non-Asterix clients to build from source.

I don't know. To me this just seems like a big step backwards in terms of
organizational structure, and it feels like it introduces a lot of
potential downsides. There are upsides too, but there are cleaner and more
sustainable solutions to the problems that merging would fix. Merging the
repositories is a quick-and-easy hack that isn't really "solving" anything
so much as it allows us to hide from them a while longer.

Ceej
aka Chris Hillery