asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hillery <chill...@hillery.land>
Subject Re: Migration of git repository
Date Mon, 08 Jun 2015 09:08:55 GMT
If not, it may be worth taking a step back and asking what exactly the
problem is. I understand the general rule that "we don't want Asterix to be
broken", but what precisely does that mean? Is it acceptable that the tip
of the Asterix source branch is only guaranteed to build against the tip of
the Hyracks branch, for example? If not, why not? What audience are we
required to keep things working for at the source level, and what
expectations do they have?

Ceej
aka Chris Hillery

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 2:06 AM, Chris Hillery <chillery@hillery.land> wrote:

> [...]
>> push it to some maven repository, if it’s not an official release.
>> > But I think that should also be fine as long as we don’t push it to a
>> repository that claims to contain official releases.
>> >
>> > Some mentor input might be helpful on this as well :)
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > Till

>> former just to resolve compile time dependencies.

>> little more involved that just running maven, when we do this at the ASF.
>> This takes at least 72 hours  in the best case if we’re a TLP, the first
>> release candidate is great, and have enough people to vote. While we’re
>> still in the incubator, releasing will take a little longer as we also have
>> to get enough votes for the release in the incubator.
>> release process once, before we decide how to structure our processes and
>> infrastructure.

>> solution to the issue of Hyracks commits breaking Asterix build is using
>> release Hyracks versions instead of snapshot ones. Yes, that will create a
>> frequent Hyracks releases (we will have to release it each time there is a
>> change which spans both Hyracks & Asterix) and we have abandoned this
>> practice a while ago, but it seems that’s the only way to separate projects
>> logically.

>> version is 4.5.6-Snapshot, Asterix version is 1.2.3-Snapshot (but it
>> depends on previous release version Hyracks 4.5.5):
>> without API conflicts & switch Asterix dependency to 4.5.6-Snapshot.
>> commit changes, bump Hyracks version to 4.5.6, make Asterix depend on 4.5.6
>> and bump Hyracks to 4.5.7-Snapshot right after.
>> commit (with snapshot version) without any version bump.
>> commit (with snapshot version) without any version bump.

>> (since it depends on a stable release) and it’s the responsibility of the
>> first person, whose commits spans both repos to make sure that the changes
>> in snapshot Hyracks version are properly merged.

>> git-gerrit script so it would submit both Asterix & Hyracks reviews
>> (granted that the latter is needed), and link them together, setting the
>> proper topic? Gerrit seems to have API for changing that, right?

>> pointy-haired Dilbert guy (aka me):  What would be nice is to have Hyracks
>> changes kick off tests of all "supported client projects" - AsterixDB,
>> VXQuery, maybe also Pregelix, IMRU, and possibly others in the future.  I
>> don't think we'll ever prevent such downstream things from being broken
>> unless we run their tests - so I would suggest that we need a mechanism to
>> keep Hyracks changes from being permitted to happen without verifying the
>> ongoing integrity of all "blessed" (priority 1) affected projects....  We
>> could have an agreed upon list of such projects and tests for each....  It
>> would be nice to have a "quick check" (hello world still works, basics are
>> working) that was synchronously blocking of such changes, and at least a
>> daily verification that all's totally well (AFAWK) for them all.

 :-)

>> separation of
>> mvn pom

API