asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hillery <chill...@lambda.nu>
Subject Extremely alpha Windows success!
Date Fri, 19 Jun 2015 10:03:13 GMT
Ok, I admit I've still got a ways to go, but I'm pleased to announce that I
was just able to spin up a three-node Hyracks cluster on Windows with zero
configuration on the NC nodes, and extremely minimal configuration on the
CC node. See attached screenshot showing three Windows VMs as well as the
browser showing the output of the Hyracks node-list REST call.

There are a number of kluges in the code right now, although a pretty good
amount of stuff is working right as well. The elephant in the room is that,
as I said, this is a Hyracks cluster, not Asterix. Using the same single
point of configuration for Asterix configuration options is I think the
last big piece of this puzzle and I hope to finish that next week. Then it
will be polishing.

I've spoken with Preston about VXQuery's requirements (simple subset of
Asterix's, I believe) as well as with Ian about how this will play in the
YARN world, and I don't currently foresee any roadblocks. I've also got
some good ideas about the next steps, such as expanding the NC service to
handle downloads for UDFs and possibly even the Hyracks client app jars
themselves (Asterix / VXQuery / etc).

Ceej
aka Chris Hillery