asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Ildar Absalyamov <ildar.absalya...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Migration of git repository
Date Mon, 08 Jun 2015 01:53:37 GMT
Does version bump always mean full-fledged Apache release? We need the former just to resolve
compile time dependencies.

> On Jun 7, 2015, at 18:49, Till Westmann <tillw@apache.org> wrote:
>
> In principle I agree with this, but creating a new release will be a little more involved
that just running maven, when we do this at the ASF.
> To publish a new release we will have to vet and vote on the release. This takes at least
72 hours  in the best case if we’re a TLP, the first release candidate is great, and have
enough people to vote. While we’re still in the incubator, releasing will take a little
longer as we also have to get enough votes for the release in the incubator.
> As I proposed earlier, it would be really good to go through the full release process
once, before we decide how to structure our processes and infrastructure.

> Cheers,
> Till
>
>> On Jun 4, 2015, at 6:37 PM, Ildar Absalyamov <ildar.absalyamov@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I am with Chris on repository separation and I think that the solution to the issue
of Hyracks commits breaking Asterix build is using release Hyracks versions instead of snapshot
ones. Yes, that will create a frequent Hyracks releases (we will have to release it each time
there is a change which spans both Hyracks & Asterix) and we have abandoned this practice
a while ago, but it seems that’s the only way to separate projects logically.

>> Here are few examples to clear the picture. In all examples Hyracks version is 4.5.6-Snapshot,
Asterix version is 1.2.3-Snapshot (but it depends on previous release version Hyracks 4.5.5):
>> 1) The changes span both Asterix & Hyracks.
>> First make sure that Asterix could depend on Hyracks 4.5.6-Snapshot without API conflicts
& switch Asterix dependency to 4.5.6-Snapshot.
>> Submit Gerrit review, once it is done as a part of git-asf script commit changes,
bump Hyracks version to 4.5.6, make Asterix depend on 4.5.6 and bump Hyracks to 4.5.7-Snapshot
right after.
>> 2) The changes are located only in Hyracks. Regular review and commit (with snapshot
version) without any version bump.
>> 3) The changes are located only in Asterix. Regular review and commit (with snapshot
version) without any version bump.

>> In this scenario Hyracks commit can never make Asterix build fail (since it depends
on a stable release) and it’s the responsibility of the first person, whose commits spans
both repos to make sure that the changes in snapshot Hyracks version are properly merged.

>> Regarding the Yingyi’s issue with Gerrit topics: could we modify git-gerrit script
so it would submit both Asterix & Hyracks reviews (granted that the latter is needed),
and link them together, setting the proper topic? Gerrit seems to have API for changing that,
right?

>>> On Jun 4, 2015, at 15:45, Mike Carey <dtabass@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Just a quick high-level note from our nearest equivalent of the pointy-haired
Dilbert guy (aka me):  What would be nice is to have Hyracks changes kick off tests of all
"supported client projects" - AsterixDB, VXQuery, maybe also Pregelix, IMRU, and possibly
others in the future.  I don't think we'll ever prevent such downstream things from being
broken unless we run their tests - so I would suggest that we need a mechanism to keep Hyracks
changes from being permitted to happen without verifying the ongoing integrity of all "blessed"
(priority 1) affected projects....  We could have an agreed upon list of such projects and
tests for each....  It would be nice to have a "quick check" (hello world still works, basics
are working) that was synchronously blocking of such changes, and at least a daily verification
that all's totally well (AFAWK) for them all.

>>> Not sure how this affects the still two-sided discussion...  :-)
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Mike

CL

>> Best regards,