asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Merging of AsterixDB and Hyracks repositories
Date Sun, 10 May 2015 11:47:06 GMT
Putting the projects into the same repository says nothing about linking
releases.

A single Apache project can have multiple released artifacts.  For
instance, Mahout has mahout-math, mahout-collections, mahout-core,
mahout-samsara.  These releases only include their own source code.

Yes, the commit stream on master would have both kinds of commits, but that
is pretty non-fatal.  If you want to isolate the projects you can have two
threads, each with only a single set of source code, but that seems strange
and obscure in this case.

In Apache parlance, a sub-project usually refers to having a disjoint set
of committers.  That is discouraged, even though it often happens at least
temporarily when new code bases are imported.  Having multiple released
artifacts is entirely a separate matter and is a good idea in many cases.