asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hillery <chill...@hillery.land>
Subject Pushing to Apache
Date Fri, 22 May 2015 08:17:25 GMT
Ian sent me some proposed docs for "how to push to Apache safely". I said
"that really oughta be scripted", so I've banged something out.

*Usage:*

   git asf commit <sha>

This will as safely as possible:

 - Get the latest code from Gerrit

 - Get the latest state from Apache (automatically figures out which
project, AsterixDB or Hyracks, based on your Gerrit URL)

 - Ensure that the tip of Apache's master branch is a direct parent of the
SHA you're pushing

 - Pushes it

This process should ensure that nobody accidentally pushes more than they
intended, as it enforces that only a single commit (ie, the output of a
single Gerrit review) is pushed at a time.

*Prerequisites:*

 - git-asf assumes you have a git remote named "gerrit" pointing to the
right place; you can use "git gerrit init" to set up

 - git-asf also assumes that you have a .netrc or equivalent set up so that
you can push to an https://git-wip-us.apache.org/ git remote

 - git-asf does NOT assume you have a git remote pointing to the ASF, and
in fact I'd very strongly urge you NOT to have one

 - git-asf does NOT create any local branches, nor assume anything about
any branches you may already have

*To get the code:*

If you already are using git-gerrit, just do a "git pull" to get the
latest. Otherwise, pick a handy directory and "git clone git://
github.com/ceejatec/git-gerrit".

Once you have the code, ensure the "git-asf" command is on your PATH. (I
like to put a symlink to it in ~/bin, which I already have on my PATH.)

Let me know if you try this out and if it works or doesn't work for you!

Ceej
aka Chris Hillery