asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From "Till Westmann" <ti...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Merging of AsterixDB and Hyracks repositories
Date Fri, 08 May 2015 21:29:51 GMT
I'm not sure about that. An Apache release will be a source code release
and not a binary release. We can have binary "convenience artifacts",
but the official release is the source release.
Usually source releases are tagged in revision control such that the
content of the source archive agrees with the tag. Now if we have all
the code in a same repository, I am not sure how that will work. I'm not
saying that it doesn't work, but I'm not sure how to do that.
I think that it would be good to make a full Apache release of both
projects first, such that we have a clear understanding how to do that
before we change the project layout.

Cheers,
Till

On 8 May 2015, at 13:58, Ian Maxon wrote:

> Releasing would be the same, probably simpler actually. I suppose I
> haven't
> tried it so I can't be totally certain, but performing 'mvn release'
> in a
> module directly doesn't do anything different than when it is run from
> higher-up pom as a submodule. Nothing would change if a user is
> dependent
> on a stable version of Hyracks, because they only ever see binary
> artifacts
> from Maven. 'hyracks' will still be called 'hyracks' and have the same
> coordinates in Maven.
>
> - Ian
>
> On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 1:47 PM, Till Westmann <tillw@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Hmm, and what do we do about the other dependents of Hyracks (e.g.
>> VXQuery)?
>> We had separate releases of Hyracks for those in the past.
>> How would releases (branching, tagging ...) work in that case?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Till
>>
>> On 8 May 2015, at 13:17, Ian Maxon wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> An idea was brought up today in the meeting (I believe by Yingyi)
>>> for
>>> solving the issues we have right now with maven project
>> interdependencies.
>>> The idea is to just merge AsterixDB and Hyracks into one git
>>> repository,
>>> and to have them as separate maven projects with a top level pom
>>> joining
>>> them. We actually have part of this implemented already (in the tlp/
>> folder
>>> a pom.xml exists for this). Doing this change would eliminate the
>> necessity
>>> of the topic field hack in Gerrit, as well as ensure changes in
>>> Hyracks
>>> don't break AsterixDB.
>>>
>>> I went ahead and made a branch that has this change implemented,
>>> please
>>> take a look at
>>>
>> https://github.com/parshimers/incubator-asterixdb/tree/imaxon/hyracks-merge
>>> to get an idea of what's proposed. I merged the Hyracks repository
>>> into a
>>> subtree of the asterix repository- so all of the commit history is
>>> merged
>>> properly. I think we would want to not commit this change through