asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Till Westmann <ti...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Migration of git repository
Date Wed, 22 Apr 2015 07:41:24 GMT
I think that there are a few ways to go about this
1) just import it with everything else
2) donate it later in an explicit step
3) incubate it in separate project.
I think that
1) is not ideal, as Pregelix wasn’t part of the incubation proposal that was voted on. However,
I also don’t see any harm being caused by importing it now.
2) would be a little cleaner as we could have a separate vote on this.
3) would be possible as well, but since the Pregelix community is a subcommunity of the AsterixDB
community and as the projects are technically very closely related it seems to make sense
to have the same PMC managing them.

Other thoughts?

Thanks,
Till

> On Apr 21, 2015, at 8:53 AM, Michael Carey <mjcarey@ics.uci.edu> wrote:
>
> Retrying minus the attachment (which is available anyway as the first publication on
the Pregelix site's publications page).

Bu <buyingyi@gmail.com>, dev@asterixdb.incubator.apache.org

> Sure!  Let me clarify the issue for everyone (and broaden the question).
>
> One of the technical by-products of the AsterixDB project is a graph analytics package
called Pregelix - as the name suggests, it is a "knock off" of Pregel, as are packages like
Giraph. What's unique about Pregelix is that it actually scales without OOM'ing - under the
covers it uses database join processing techniques.  You can find out more about it by visiting
http://pregelix.ics.uci.edu/ and/or by skimming the attached paper - check out the experimental
results compared to other popular alternatives. Anyway, we have made it freely available (as
we do all of our AsterixDB-related research products) and we were thinking that we should
simply include it under the AsterixDB project - kind of like Spark has subprojects for SQL,
streams, graphs, etc.  As a result, I listed it on the list of transferred artifacts when
I sent in the licensing form the other day.  (So we at least have that step done.)  Its code
conntributors have been a small subset of the AsterixDB team; it was a small sub-project,
basically.  (Mostly just Yingyi Bu!)

> Pregelix is kind of a sibling of Apache VXQuery in that its runtime is based on Hyracks
but it hasn't otherwise been AsterixDB-dependent.  However, we have just finished teaching
it to read/write directly from AsterixDB native storage - instead of just HDFS - so now it
has an AsterixDB dependency, and we are using it as a driving example of how to couple AsterixDB
to other analytic engines.

> Rather than going through another exercise to open-source this separately, it seemed
like we could take this approach.