asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Henry Saputra <henry.sapu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Migration of git repository
Date Thu, 23 Apr 2015 04:42:38 GMT
Yes, lets do this =)

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 9:35 PM, Till Westmann <tillw@apache.org> wrote:
> Sounds good to me as well.
> Can we simply import the code into the repository now?
>
> Thanks,
> Till
>
>> On Apr 22, 2015, at 8:19 AM, Henry Saputra <henry.saputra@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> This is similar to Apache Flink where there was a project developed
>> that depends on Flink.
>>
>> It finally came to Flink as separate contributions and also bring new
>> committers to the community that helps shows growth of the project.
>>
>> If Pregelix could wait lets bring AsterixDB first and see where it
>> could fit later once the git settle in the Apache Git repo.
>>
>> - Henry
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 12:41 AM, Till Westmann <tillw@apache.org> wrote:
>>> I think that there are a few ways to go about this
>>> 1) just import it with everything else
>>> 2) donate it later in an explicit step
>>> 3) incubate it in separate project.
>>> I think that
>>> 1) is not ideal, as Pregelix wasn’t part of the incubation proposal that was
voted on. However, I also don’t see any harm being caused by importing it now.
>>> 2) would be a little cleaner as we could have a separate vote on this.
>>> 3) would be possible as well, but since the Pregelix community is a subcommunity
of the AsterixDB community and as the projects are technically very closely related it seems
to make sense to have the same PMC managing them.

>>> Other thoughts?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Till

on the Pregelix site's publications page).

Westmann <till@westmann.org>
Yingyi Bu <buyingyi@gmail.com>, dev@asterixdb.incubator.apache.org

package called Pregelix - as the name suggests, it is a "knock off" of Pregel, as are packages
like Giraph. What's unique about Pregelix is that it actually scales without OOM'ing - under
the covers it uses database join processing techniques.  You can find out more about it by
visiting http://pregelix.ics.uci.edu/ and/or by skimming the attached paper - check out the
experimental results compared to other popular alternatives. Anyway, we have made it freely
available (as we do all of our AsterixDB-related research products) and we were thinking that
we should simply include it under the AsterixDB project - kind of like Spark has subprojects
for SQL, streams, graphs, etc.  As a result, I listed it on the list of transferred artifacts
when I sent in the licensing form the other day.  (So we at least have that step done.)  Its
code conntributors have been a small subset of the AsterixDB team; it was a small sub-project,
basically.  (Mostly just Yingyi Bu!)

on Hyracks but it hasn't otherwise been AsterixDB-dependent.  However, we have just finished
teaching it to read/write directly from AsterixDB native storage - instead of just HDFS -
so now it has an AsterixDB dependency, and we are using it as a driving example of how to
couple AsterixDB to other analytic engines.

it seemed like we could take this approach.