asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Till Westmann <ti...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Migration of git repository
Date Thu, 23 Apr 2015 04:58:31 GMT
Cool!

Ian, could you copy the branches over?
Is there something else we need to do to finalize the migration of the code from GC to the
ASF repositories? (Obviously we still have to deal with the bugs and the Wiki Content after
the code is in.)

Cheers,
Till

> On Apr 22, 2015, at 21:42, Henry Saputra <henry.saputra@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Yes, lets do this =)
>
>> On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 9:35 PM, Till Westmann <tillw@apache.org> wrote:
>> Sounds good to me as well.
>> Can we simply import the code into the repository now?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Till
>>
>>> On Apr 22, 2015, at 8:19 AM, Henry Saputra <henry.saputra@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> This is similar to Apache Flink where there was a project developed
>>> that depends on Flink.
>>>
>>> It finally came to Flink as separate contributions and also bring new
>>> committers to the community that helps shows growth of the project.
>>>
>>> If Pregelix could wait lets bring AsterixDB first and see where it
>>> could fit later once the git settle in the Apache Git repo.
>>>
>>> - Henry

was voted on. However, I also don’t see any harm being caused by importing it now.
of the AsterixDB community and as the projects are technically very closely related it seems
to make sense to have the same PMC managing them.

publication on the Pregelix site's publications page).

Till Westmann <till@westmann.org>
Yingyi Bu <buyingyi@gmail.com>, dev@asterixdb.incubator.apache.org

analytics package called Pregelix - as the name suggests, it is a "knock off" of Pregel, as
are packages like Giraph. What's unique about Pregelix is that it actually scales without
OOM'ing - under the covers it uses database join processing techniques.  You can find out
more about it by visiting http://pregelix.ics.uci.edu/ and/or by skimming the attached paper
- check out the experimental results compared to other popular alternatives. Anyway, we have
made it freely available (as we do all of our AsterixDB-related research products) and we
were thinking that we should simply include it under the AsterixDB project - kind of like
Spark has subprojects for SQL, streams, graphs, etc.  As a result, I listed it on the list
of transferred artifacts when I sent in the licensing form the other day.  (So we at least
have that step done.)  Its code conntributors have been a small subset of the AsterixDB team;
it was a small sub-project, basically.  (Mostly just Yingyi Bu!)

based on Hyracks but it hasn't otherwise been AsterixDB-dependent.  However, we have just
finished teaching it to read/write directly from AsterixDB native storage - instead of just
HDFS - so now it has an AsterixDB dependency, and we are using it as a driving example of
how to couple AsterixDB to other analytic engines.

it seemed like we could take this approach.

(I could