asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Carey <dtab...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Migration of git repository
Date Wed, 22 Apr 2015 23:56:25 GMT
Okay w/me to wait, then.

On 4/22/15 8:19 AM, Henry Saputra wrote:
> This is similar to Apache Flink where there was a project developed
> that depends on Flink.
>
> It finally came to Flink as separate contributions and also bring new
> committers to the community that helps shows growth of the project.
>
> If Pregelix could wait lets bring AsterixDB first and see where it
> could fit later once the git settle in the Apache Git repo.
>
> - Henry
>
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 12:41 AM, Till Westmann <tillw@apache.org> wrote:
>> I think that there are a few ways to go about this
>> 1) just import it with everything else
>> 2) donate it later in an explicit step
>> 3) incubate it in separate project.
>> I think that
>> 1) is not ideal, as Pregelix wasn’t part of the incubation proposal that was voted
on. However, I also don’t see any harm being caused by importing it now.
>> 2) would be a little cleaner as we could have a separate vote on this.
>> 3) would be possible as well, but since the Pregelix community is a subcommunity
of the AsterixDB community and as the projects are technically very closely related it seems
to make sense to have the same PMC managing them.

>> Other thoughts?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Till
>>
>>> On Apr 21, 2015, at 8:53 AM, Michael Carey <mjcarey@ics.uci.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> Retrying minus the attachment (which is available anyway as the first publication
on the Pregelix site's publications page).

Yingyi Bu <buyingyi@gmail.com>, dev@asterixdb.incubator.apache.org

>>> Sure!  Let me clarify the issue for everyone (and broaden the question).
>>>
>>> One of the technical by-products of the AsterixDB project is a graph analytics
package called Pregelix - as the name suggests, it is a "knock off" of Pregel, as are packages
like Giraph. What's unique about Pregelix is that it actually scales without OOM'ing - under
the covers it uses database join processing techniques.  You can find out more about it by
visiting http://pregelix.ics.uci.edu/ and/or by skimming the attached paper - check out the
experimental results compared to other popular alternatives. Anyway, we have made it freely
available (as we do all of our AsterixDB-related research products) and we were thinking that
we should simply include it under the AsterixDB project - kind of like Spark has subprojects
for SQL, streams, graphs, etc.  As a result, I listed it on the list of transferred artifacts
when I sent in the licensing form the other day.  (So we at least have that step done.)  Its
code conntributors have been a small subset of the AsterixDB team; it was a small sub-project,
basically.  (Mostly just Yingyi Bu!)

>>> Pregelix is kind of a sibling of Apache VXQuery in that its runtime is based
on Hyracks but it hasn't otherwise been AsterixDB-dependent.  However, we have just finished
teaching it to read/write directly from AsterixDB native storage - instead of just HDFS -
so now it has an AsterixDB dependency, and we are using it as a driving example of how to
couple AsterixDB to other analytic engines.

>>> Rather than going through another exercise to open-source this separately, it
seemed like we could take this approach.

>>> Thoughts?
>>> Cheers,