arrow-user mailing list archives

From Justin Polchlopek <jpolchlo...@azavea.com>
Subject Achieving parity with Java extension types in Python
Date Mon, 28 Oct 2019 20:47:49 GMT
Hi!

I've been working through understanding extension types in Arrow.  It's a
great feature, and I've had no problems getting things working in
Java/Scala; however, Python has been a bit of a different story.  Not that
I am unable to create and register extension types in Python, but rather
that I can't seem to recreate the functionality provided by the Java API's
ExtensionTypeVector class.

In Java, ExtensionType::getNewVector() provides a clear pathway from the
registered type to output a vector in something other than the underlying
vector type, and I am at a loss for how to get this same functionality in
Python.  Am I missing something?

Thanks for any hints.
-Justin