arrow-user mailing list archives

From Wes McKinney <wesmck...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Achieving parity with Java extension types in Python
Date Mon, 28 Oct 2019 21:22:57 GMT
Adding dev@

I don't believe we have APIs yet for plugging in user-defined Array
subtypes. I assume you've read

http://arrow.apache.org/docs/python/extending_types.html#defining-extension-types-user-defined-types

There may be some JIRA issues already about this (defining subclasses
of pa.Array with custom behavior) -- since Joris has been working on
this I'm interested in more comments

On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 3:56 PM Justin Polchlopek
<jpolchlopek@azavea.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I've been working through understanding extension types in Arrow.  It's a great feature,
and I've had no problems getting things working in Java/Scala; however, Python has been a
bit of a different story.  Not that I am unable to create and register extension types in
Python, but rather that I can't seem to recreate the functionality provided by the Java API's
ExtensionTypeVector class.

> In Java, ExtensionType::getNewVector() provides a clear pathway from the registered type
to output a vector in something other than the underlying vector type, and I am at a loss
for how to get this same functionality in Python.  Am I missing something?