arrow-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Krisztián Szűcs <szucs.kriszt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 0.17 release procedure
Date Thu, 16 Apr 2020 18:51:39 GMT
On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 7:07 PM Micah Kornfield <emkornfield@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I think we should remove orc from the build altogether, if tests are  failing.  If no
one steps up to reenable it by next release we should delete the code.
I did. The source release is already available, but I had to fix some packaging
issues, so currently I'm waiting for the binaries to finish.
>
> On Thursday, April 16, 2020, Krisztián Szűcs <szucs.krisztian@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 7:17 AM Micah Kornfield <emkornfield@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi Wes,
>> > I agree, I made a mistake, I've opened
>> > https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/6955 to revert it and will merge once
>> > it turns green.
>> Don't worry about it Micah, that commit was applied after the last commit
>> required to the release so I could choose to release from the previous commit.
>> >
>> > In terms of unblocking the release, I don't think reverting will fix the
>> > issue (offline Krisztián mentioned he tried an RC on the previous commit).
>> Yes, this is unrelated to that commit.
>> >
>> > Given this hasn't been running in CI and is "contrib package", I'd advocate
>> > excluding the package from this release if we don't find a solution quickly
>> > (If memory serves I believe I asked the original contributor to CI and it
>> > appears that never happened, so for all intents and purposes I think we
>> > should treat this code as unmaintained/dead).
>> Most likely I'll skip the orc-test.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Micah
>> >
>> > On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 5:43 PM Wes McKinney <wesmckinn@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > > FTR I don't think that ARROW-7534 should have been merged right around
>> > > the time that we are trying to produce a release candidate. Any
>> > > changes that impact packaging or codebase structures should be
>> > > approached with significant caution close to releases.
>> > >
>> > > On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 7:25 PM Krisztián Szűcs
>> > > <szucs.krisztian@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > > >
>> > > > Hi,
>> > > >
>> > > > We've merged the last required pull requests later today[/yesterday],
>> > > > so I started to cut RC0.
>> > > > The release process doesn't go smoothly, among other smaller problems
>> > > > I discovered a crash with the ORC Java JNI bindings (local error [1]),
>> > > > turned out that we don't run the orc-jni tests on the CI. I put up
a PR
>> > > > to enable them [2], it has not reproduced the exact issue yet.
>> > > >
>> > > > Any help from the JNI developers would be appreciated. I can also
cut
>> > > > RC0 with JNI disabled.
>> > > >
>> > > > [1] https://gist.github.com/kszucs/67205eda6cd19e3cd08c86894f5b4c2d
>> > > > [2] https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/6953
>> > > >
>> > > > Regards, Krisztian
>> > >

Mime
View raw message