arrow-dev mailing list archives

From Krisztián Szűcs <szucs.kriszt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Consolidate Arrow's CI configuration
Date Fri, 06 Sep 2019 14:18:39 GMT
On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 12:48 PM Antoine Pitrou <solipsis@pitrou.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Sep 2019 12:41:15 +0200
> Krisztián Szűcs <szucs.krisztian@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I get the impression that it is a complicated and fragile solution to
> > > the problem.
> > >
> > Ursabot has a bunch of tests to ensure that we don't brake any of the
> > functionality,
> > so fragility can be avoided by testing it.
>
> Testing lets you detect breakage, it doesn't make the chosen solution
> less likely to break.
>
> I'm curious: is this officially supported by buildbot?  Or is it
> something that happens to work?

If you mean changing the configuration from pull requests without
restarting the master, then I don't think so. Usually the buildmaster
configuration is hosted in a separate repo. Although I've seen examples
to automatically reload the configuration based on pull requests, but
the whole buildmaster process, not just certain parts of it.
We can ask some advice from the buildbot community about a proper
implementation of this feature.