arrow-dev mailing list archives

From Antoine Pitrou <solip...@pitrou.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Changing C++ build system default options to produce more barebones builds
Date Wed, 18 Sep 2019 14:54:04 GMT
On Wed, 18 Sep 2019 09:46:54 -0500
Wes McKinney <wesmckinn@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think these are both interesting areas to explore further. I'd like
> to focus on the couple of immediate items I think we should address
>
> * Should optional components be "opt in", "out out", or a mix?
> Currently it's a mix, and that's confusing for people. I think we
> should make them all "opt in".
> * Do we want to bring the out-of-the-box core build down to zero
> dependencies, including not depending on boost::filesystem and
> possibly checking the compiled Flatbuffers files. While it may be
> slightly more maintenance work, I think the optics of a
> "dependency-free" core build would be beneficial and help the project
> marketing-wise.
>
> Both of these issues must be addressed whether we undertake a Bazel
> implementation or some other refactor of the C++ build system.

I think checking in the Flatbuffers files (and also Protobuf and Thrift
where applicable :-)) would be fine.

As for boost::filesystem, getting rid of it wouldn't be a huge task.
Still worth deciding whether we want to prioritize development time for
it, because it's not entirely trivial either.

Regards

Antoine.