arrow-dev mailing list archives

From TP Boudreau <tpboudr...@gmail.com>
Subject PARQUET-1411 / PR 4185
Date Thu, 02 May 2019 22:05:13 GMT
Hello Parquet-Arrow Team, Wes,

A short while ago, I submitted PR 4185 (
https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/4185) to implement in the C++ library
the new logical annotations metadata available in the latest parquet.thrift
spec (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PARQUET-1411).  I stopped
committing to that PR's branch about a week ago to allow the code to be
reviewed without it being a moving target.

I've since (optimistically) starting blocking out new code for ARROW-3729
based on my open PR (switching Arrow to read/write the new Parquet
annotations, https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARROW-3729) and while
doing that realized that usage of the annotations classes I created in the
open PR might be smoother with the introduction of a few convenience
methods.  However, the most suitable names for these methods (IMO) were
introduced for another purpose in the open PR and would need to be
reclaimed -- overall a fairly minor, non-structural change to the PR code.

I can either add another commit to the open PR to add these convenience
methods and rename some things (which would be my preference, provided no
one has invested too much time yet reviewing it -- maybe you have Wes?), or
I can wait for the first round of reviews on that PR to see where things
stand.

How should I proceed?

Thanks in advance,
--Tim