arrow-dev mailing list archives

From Micah Kornfield <emkornfi...@gmail.com>
Subject [Discuss][Java] Check-style rules for methods
Date Sun, 05 May 2019 22:41:35 GMT
I've submitted a pull request [1] that enables the javadoc method check
style rules and added missing javadocs where the rule was failing.

Jacques pointed out that that we might want to tweak the existing check
style rules.

The current configuration ignores anything in a test directory, with
an @Override annotation, main methods and methods with a less then 2 lines
of code.  It does not require @param, @throws or @return tags.  I've pasted
the exact configuration below.  The complete set of configuration
possibilities is documented in the check-style documentation [2].

Personally, I'm happy with the current settings because I think a lot of
value can be derived from method javadoc without having the additional
tags, which can often times be redundant.

What do others thing?

Thanks,
Micah

[1] https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/4243
[2] http://checkstyle.sourceforge.net/config_javadoc.html

The exact XML is:

<module name="JavadocMethod">
    <property name="scope" value="public"/>
    <property name="allowMissingParamTags" value="true"/>
    <property name="allowMissingThrowsTags" value="true"/>
    <property name="allowMissingReturnTag" value="true"/>
    <property name="minLineCount" value="2"/>
    <property name="allowedAnnotations" value="Override, Test"/>
    <property name="allowThrowsTagsForSubclasses" value="true"/>
    <property name="ignoreMethodNamesRegex" value="main"/>
</module>