arrow-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Micah Kornfield <>
Subject Depending on non-released Apache projects (C++ Avro)
Date Tue, 05 Mar 2019 07:01:08 GMT
I'm looking at incorporating Avro in Arrow C++ [1]. It  seems that the Avro
C++ library APIs  have improved from the last release.  However, it is not
clear when a new release will be available (I asked on the  JIRA Item for
the next release [2] and received no response).

I was wondering if there is a policy governing using other Apache projects
or how people felt about the following options:
1.  Depend on a specific git commit through the third-party library system.
2.  Copy the necessary source code temporarily to our project, and change
to using the next release when it is available.
3.  Fork the code we need (the main benefit I see here is being able to
refactor it to avoid having to deal with exceptions, easier integration
with our IO system and one less 3rd party dependency to deal with).
4.  Wait on the 1.9 release before proceeding.



  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message