arrow-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Krisztián Szűcs <szucs.kriszt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Timeline for 0.13 Arrow release
Date Tue, 26 Mar 2019 17:26:47 GMT
On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 6:19 PM Wes McKinney <wesmckinn@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think it's OK to keep merging patches (within reason) until an RC is
> cut so long as the build isn't broken.
>
> It looks like we have 3 issues marked still for 0.13
>
> ARROW-4645: Gandiva in wheels
> ARROW-4646: Gandiva in conda packages
> ARROW-4995: Windows build support for R
>
> If 4645/4646 are not merge-ready by end of day today I think this work
> can be pushed into 0.14 since Gandiva is not blocking much user-facing
> functionality at the moment
>
Note that 4645/4646 also contains the fixes for the CMake rewrite, without
these PRs the packaging builds will fail. The conda-forge builds can be
altered after the release, but the wheels can't. BTW they are ready to
merge.

>
> ARROW-4995 should be merged to give the R folks a fighting chance at a
> CRAN submission after the release. I'll take a look at that now
>
> Anything else that must go in?
>
> - Wes
>
> On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 8:58 AM Antoine Pitrou <antoine@python.org> wrote:
> >
> >
> > Hi Kou,
> >
> > What should be the policy for merges until 0.13.0 is released?
> > Do you want to instate a feature freeze or commit freeze?
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Antoine.
> >
> >
> > Le 19/03/2019 à 15:46, Kouhei Sutou a écrit :
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > There are no blockers on GLib, Ruby and Linux packages.
> > >
> > > Can we include JavaScript into 0.13.0?
> > > If we include JavaScript into 0.13.0, we can remove
> > > codes to release JavaScript separately. For example, we can
> > > remove dev/release/js-*. We can enable version update code
> > > in dev/release/00-prepare.sh:
> > >
> https://github.com/apache/arrow/blob/master/dev/release/00-prepare.sh#L67-L74
> > >
> > > We can merge "JavaScript Releases" document into our release
> > > document:
> > >
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ARROW/Release+Management+Guide#ReleaseManagementGuide-JavaScriptReleases
> > >
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > --
> > > kou
> > >
> > > In <CAJPUwMBGjzbwrwYBwse6BD9LnN_7XOZN_aQ2JOB9_MPVMHc07w@mail.gmail.com
> >
> > >   "Re: Timeline for 0.13 Arrow release" on Mon, 18 Mar 2019 20:51:12
> -0500,
> > >   Wes McKinney <wesmckinn@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > >> hi folks,
> > >>
> > >> I think we're basically at the 0.13 end game here. There's some more
> > >> patches can get in, but do we all think we can cut an RC by the end of
> > >> the week? What are the blocking issues?
> > >>
> > >> Thanks
> > >> Wes
> > >>
> > >> On Sat, Mar 16, 2019 at 9:57 PM Kouhei Sutou <kou@clear-code.com>
> wrote:
> > >>>
> > >>> Hi,
> > >>>
> > >>>> Submitted the packaging builds:
> > >>>>
> https://github.com/kszucs/crossbow/branches/all?utf8=%E2%9C%93&query=build-452
> > >>>
> > >>> I've fixed .deb/.rpm packages:
> https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/3934
> > >>> It has been merged.
> > >>> So .deb/.rpm packages are ready for release.
> > >>>
> > >>> Thanks,
> > >>> --
> > >>> kou
> > >>>
> > >>> In <
> CAHM19a5SOmZxGcphc6eE-Mr2USVVhWB252UdGjrVocQ-CB2dag@mail.gmail.com>
> > >>>   "Re: Timeline for 0.13 Arrow release" on Thu, 14 Mar 2019 16:24:43
> +0100,
> > >>>   Krisztián Szűcs <szucs.krisztian@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >>>
> > >>>> Submitted the packaging builds:
> > >>>>
> https://github.com/kszucs/crossbow/branches/all?utf8=%E2%9C%93&query=build-452
> > >>>>
> > >>>> On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 4:19 PM Wes McKinney <wesmckinn@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > >>>>
> > >>>>> The CMake refactor is merged! Kudos to Uwe for 3+ weeks of
hard
> labor on
> > >>>>> this.
> > >>>>>
> > >>>>> We should run all the packaging tasks and get a full accounting
of
> > >>>>> what is broken so we aren't surprised during the release process
> > >>>>>
> > >>>>> On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 9:39 AM Krisztián Szűcs
> > >>>>> <szucs.krisztian@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >>>>>>
> > >>>>>> The proof of the pudding is in the eating. You convinced
me.
> > >>>>>>
> > >>>>>> On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 3:31 PM Wes McKinney <wesmckinn@gmail.com
> >
> > >>>>> wrote:
> > >>>>>>
> > >>>>>>> Krisztian -- are you all right with proceeding with
merging the
> CMake
> > >>>>>>> refactor? I'm pretty committed to helping fix the problems
that
> come
> > >>>>>>> up. Since most consumers of the project don't test
until _after_
> a
> > >>>>>>> release, we won't find out about some problems until
we merge it
> and
> > >>>>>>> release it. Thus, IMHO it doesn't make sense to wait
another 8-10
> > >>>>>>> weeks since we'd be delaying feedback for that long.
There are
> also a
> > >>>>>>> number of follow-on issues blocking on the refactor
> > >>>>>>>
> > >>>>>>> On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 11:39 AM Andy Grove <
> andygrove73@gmail.com>
> > >>>>> wrote:
> > >>>>>>>>
> > >>>>>>>> I've cleaned up my issues for Rust, moving most
of them to
> 0.14.0.
> > >>>>>>>>
> > >>>>>>>> I have two PRs in progress that I would appreciate
reviews on:
> > >>>>>>>>
> > >>>>>>>> https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/3671 - [Rust]
Table API
> (a.k.a
> > >>>>>>>> DataFrame)
> > >>>>>>>>
> > >>>>>>>> https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/3851 - [Rust]
Parquet data
> > >>>>> source
> > >>>>>>> in
> > >>>>>>>> DataFusion
> > >>>>>>>>
> > >>>>>>>> Once these are merged I have some small follow
up PRs for 0.13.0
> > >>>>> that I
> > >>>>>>> can
> > >>>>>>>> get done this week.
> > >>>>>>>>
> > >>>>>>>> Thanks,
> > >>>>>>>>
> > >>>>>>>> Andy.
> > >>>>>>>>
> > >>>>>>>>
> > >>>>>>>> On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 8:21 AM Wes McKinney <
> wesmckinn@gmail.com>
> > >>>>>>> wrote:
> > >>>>>>>>
> > >>>>>>>>> hi folks,
> > >>>>>>>>>
> > >>>>>>>>> I think we are on track to be able to release
toward the end of
> > >>>>> this
> > >>>>>>>>> month. My proposed timeline:
> > >>>>>>>>>
> > >>>>>>>>> * This week (March 11-15): feature/improvement
push mostly
> > >>>>>>>>> * Next week (March 18-22): shift to bug fixes,
stabilization,
> empty
> > >>>>>>>>> backlog of feature/improvement JIRAs
> > >>>>>>>>> * Week of March 25: propose release candidate
> > >>>>>>>>>
> > >>>>>>>>> Does this seem reasonable? This puts us at
about 9-10 weeks
> from
> > >>>>> 0.12.
> > >>>>>>>>>
> > >>>>>>>>> We need an RM for 0.13, any PMCs want to volunteer?
> > >>>>>>>>>
> > >>>>>>>>> Take a look at our release page:
> > >>>>>>>>>
> > >>>>>>>>>
> > >>>>>>>
> > >>>>>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=103091219
> > >>>>>>>>>
> > >>>>>>>>> Out of the open or in-progress issues, we have:
> > >>>>>>>>>
> > >>>>>>>>> * C#: 3 issues
> > >>>>>>>>> * C++ (all components): 51 issues
> > >>>>>>>>> * Java: 3 issues
> > >>>>>>>>> * Python: 38 issues
> > >>>>>>>>> * Rust (all components): 33 issues
> > >>>>>>>>>
> > >>>>>>>>> Please help curating the backlogs for each
component. There's a
> > >>>>>>>>> smattering of issues in other categories. There
are also 10
> open
> > >>>>>>>>> issues with No Component (and 20 resolved issues),
those need
> their
> > >>>>>>>>> metadata fixed.
> > >>>>>>>>>
> > >>>>>>>>> Thanks,
> > >>>>>>>>> Wes
> > >>>>>>>>>
> > >>>>>>>>> On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 1:49 PM Wes McKinney
<
> wesmckinn@gmail.com>
> > >>>>>>> wrote:
> > >>>>>>>>>>
> > >>>>>>>>>> The timeline for the 0.13 release is drawing
closer. I would
> say
> > >>>>> we
> > >>>>>>>>>> should consider a release candidate either
the week of March
> 18
> > >>>>> or
> > >>>>>>>>>> March 25, which gives us ~3 weeks to close
out backlog items.
> > >>>>>>>>>>
> > >>>>>>>>>> There are around 220 issues open or in-progress
in
> > >>>>>>>>>>
> > >>>>>>>>>>
> > >>>>>>>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ARROW/Arrow+0.13.0+Release
> > >>>>>>>>>>
> > >>>>>>>>>> Please have a look. If issues are not assigned
to someone as
> the
> > >>>>> next
> > >>>>>>>>>> couple of weeks pass by I'll begin moving
at least C++ and
> Python
> > >>>>>>>>>> issues to 0.14 that don't seem like they're
going to get done
> for
> > >>>>>>>>>> 0.13. If development stakeholders for C#,
Java, Rust, Ruby,
> and
> > >>>>> other
> > >>>>>>>>>> components can review and curate the issues
that would be
> > >>>>> helpful.
> > >>>>>>>>>>
> > >>>>>>>>>> You can help keep the JIRA issues tidy
by making sure to add
> Fix
> > >>>>>>>>>> Version to issues and to make sure to add
a Component so that
> > >>>>> issues
> > >>>>>>>>>> are properly categorized in the release
notes.
> > >>>>>>>>>>
> > >>>>>>>>>> Thanks
> > >>>>>>>>>> Wes
> > >>>>>>>>>>
> > >>>>>>>>>> On Sat, Feb 9, 2019 at 10:39 AM Wes McKinney
<
> > >>>>> wesmckinn@gmail.com>
> > >>>>>>>>> wrote:
> > >>>>>>>>>>>
> > >>>>>>>>>>> See
> > >>>>>>>>>
> > >>>>>>>
> > >>>>>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ARROW/Release+Management+Guide
> > >>>>>>>>>>>
> > >>>>>>>>>>> The source release step is one of the
places where problems
> > >>>>> occur.
> > >>>>>>>>>>>
> > >>>>>>>>>>> On Sat, Feb 9, 2019, 10:33 AM <aneesh@quiltdata.io
wrote:
> > >>>>>>>>>>>>
> > >>>>>>>>>>>>
> > >>>>>>>>>>>>> On Feb 8, 2019, at 9:19 AM,
Uwe L. Korn <mail@uwekorn.com>
> > >>>>>>> wrote:
> > >>>>>>>>>>>>>
> > >>>>>>>>>>>>> We could dockerize some of
the release steps to ensure that
> > >>>>> they
> > >>>>>>>>> run in the same environment.
> > >>>>>>>>>>>>
> > >>>>>>>>>>>> I may be able to help with said
Dockerization. If not for
> this
> > >>>>>>>>> release, then for the next. Are there docs
on which systems we
> > >>>>> wish to
> > >>>>>>>>> target and/or any build steps beyond the current
dev container
> (
> > >>>>>>>>> https://github.com/apache/arrow/tree/master/dev/container)?
> > >>>>>>>>>
> > >>>>>>>
> > >>>>>
>

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message