arrow-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Krisztián Szűcs <szucs.kriszt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Timeline for 0.13 Arrow release
Date Mon, 25 Mar 2019 14:37:46 GMT
On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 3:21 PM Wes McKinney <wesmckinn@gmail.com> wrote:

> If Gandiva is causing packaging problems for 0.13 as a result of the CMake
> refactor, I suggest that we drop it from packages and plan to resolve for
> 0.14. So I think we should set a pretty strict time box for resolution of
> these issues (eg end of day Tuesday)
>
Sounds good to me. Do We have a release manager?

>
> On Mon, Mar 25, 2019, 2:12 PM Krisztián Szűcs <szucs.krisztian@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I'm working on the conda and wheel builds:
> > https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/3832
> > https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/4024
> > These must pass before We can cut the release.
> >
> >
> > On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 2:08 PM Wes McKinney <wesmckinn@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi folks,
> > >
> > > I think we should close the 0.13 backlog and try to get an RC0 out
> ASAP.
> > > What work must get done before that happens?
> > >
> > > I intend to sort out ARROW-4872 today.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Wes
> > >
> > > On Wed, Mar 20, 2019, 5:00 PM Brian Hulette <hulettbh@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > > I think that makes sense. I would really like to make JS part of the
> > > > mainstream releases, but we already have JS-0.4.1 ready to go [1]
> with
> > > > primarily bugfixes for JS-0.4.0. I think we should just cut that and
> > > > integrate JS in 0.14.
> > > >
> > > > [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/ARROW/versions/12344961
> > > >
> > > > On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 8:20 AM Wes McKinney <wesmckinn@gmail.com>
> > > wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > In light of the discussion on
> > > > > https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/3630 I think we should wait
> > until
> > > > > we have a "not broken" JavaScript-only release on NPM and have
> > > > > confidence that we can respond to the community's needs
> > > > >
> > > > > On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 11:24 PM Paul Taylor <ptaylor@apache.org>
> > > wrote:
> > > > > >
> > > > > > I agree, the JS has matured a lot in the last few months. I
think
> > > it's
> > > > > > ready to join the regular Arrow releases. Let me know if I can
> help
> > > > > > integrate the publish scripts :-)
> > > > > >
> > > > > > The two main things in progress are docs + Vector Builders,
> neither
> > > of
> > > > > > which should block this release.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > We're going to try to get the docs/recipes ready for a PR this
> > > weekend.
> > > > > > If that lands shortly after 0.13.0 goes out, would it be possible
> > to
> > > > > > update the website independently, or would that need to wait
> until
> > > > 0.14?
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Paul
> > > > > >
> > > > > > On 3/19/19 10:08 AM, Wes McKinney wrote:
> > > > > > > I'm in favor of including JS in the 0.13.0 release.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > I'm going to try to fix a couple of the Python Parquet
bugs
> until
> > > the
> > > > > > > RC is ready to be cut, but none of them need block the
release.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > Seems like we need someone else to volunteer to be the
RM for
> > 0.13
> > > if
> > > > > > > Uwe is unavailable next week. Antoine -- are you possibly
up
> for
> > it
> > > > > > > (the initial setup will be a bit painful)? I don't have
access
> > to a
> > > > > > > machine with my code signing key on it until next week
so I
> > cannot
> > > do
> > > > > > > it
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > - Wes
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 9:46 AM Kouhei Sutou <
> kou@clear-code.com
> > >
> > > > > wrote:
> > > > > > >> Hi,
> > > > > > >>
> > > > > > >> There are no blockers on GLib, Ruby and Linux packages.
> > > > > > >>
> > > > > > >> Can we include JavaScript into 0.13.0?
> > > > > > >> If we include JavaScript into 0.13.0, we can remove
> > > > > > >> codes to release JavaScript separately. For example,
we can
> > > > > > >> remove dev/release/js-*. We can enable version update
code
> > > > > > >> in dev/release/00-prepare.sh:
> > > > > > >>
> > > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
> https://github.com/apache/arrow/blob/master/dev/release/00-prepare.sh#L67-L74
> > > > > > >>
> > > > > > >> We can merge "JavaScript Releases" document into our
release
> > > > > > >> document:
> > > > > > >>
> > > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ARROW/Release+Management+Guide#ReleaseManagementGuide-JavaScriptReleases
> > > > > > >>
> > > > > > >>
> > > > > > >> Thanks,
> > > > > > >> --
> > > > > > >> kou
> > > > > > >>
> > > > > > >> In <
> > > > > CAJPUwMBGjzbwrwYBwse6BD9LnN_7XOZN_aQ2JOB9_MPVMHc07w@mail.gmail.com
> >
> > > > > > >>    "Re: Timeline for 0.13 Arrow release" on Mon, 18
Mar 2019
> > > > 20:51:12
> > > > > -0500,
> > > > > > >>    Wes McKinney <wesmckinn@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > > > > >>
> > > > > > >>> hi folks,
> > > > > > >>>
> > > > > > >>> I think we're basically at the 0.13 end game here.
There's
> some
> > > > more
> > > > > > >>> patches can get in, but do we all think we can
cut an RC by
> the
> > > end
> > > > > of
> > > > > > >>> the week? What are the blocking issues?
> > > > > > >>>
> > > > > > >>> Thanks
> > > > > > >>> Wes
> > > > > > >>>
> > > > > > >>> On Sat, Mar 16, 2019 at 9:57 PM Kouhei Sutou <
> > kou@clear-code.com
> > > >
> > > > > wrote:
> > > > > > >>>> Hi,
> > > > > > >>>>
> > > > > > >>>>> Submitted the packaging builds:
> > > > > > >>>>>
> > > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
> https://github.com/kszucs/crossbow/branches/all?utf8=%E2%9C%93&query=build-452
> > > > > > >>>> I've fixed .deb/.rpm packages:
> > > > > https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/3934
> > > > > > >>>> It has been merged.
> > > > > > >>>> So .deb/.rpm packages are ready for release.
> > > > > > >>>>
> > > > > > >>>> Thanks,
> > > > > > >>>> --
> > > > > > >>>> kou
> > > > > > >>>>
> > > > > > >>>> In <
> > > > > CAHM19a5SOmZxGcphc6eE-Mr2USVVhWB252UdGjrVocQ-CB2dag@mail.gmail.com
> >
> > > > > > >>>>    "Re: Timeline for 0.13 Arrow release" on
Thu, 14 Mar 2019
> > > > > 16:24:43 +0100,
> > > > > > >>>>    Krisztián Szűcs <szucs.krisztian@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > > > > > >>>>
> > > > > > >>>>> Submitted the packaging builds:
> > > > > > >>>>>
> > > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
> https://github.com/kszucs/crossbow/branches/all?utf8=%E2%9C%93&query=build-452
> > > > > > >>>>>
> > > > > > >>>>> On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 4:19 PM Wes McKinney
<
> > > > wesmckinn@gmail.com>
> > > > > wrote:
> > > > > > >>>>>
> > > > > > >>>>>> The CMake refactor is merged! Kudos
to Uwe for 3+ weeks of
> > > hard
> > > > > labor on
> > > > > > >>>>>> this.
> > > > > > >>>>>>
> > > > > > >>>>>> We should run all the packaging tasks
and get a full
> > > accounting
> > > > of
> > > > > > >>>>>> what is broken so we aren't surprised
during the release
> > > process
> > > > > > >>>>>>
> > > > > > >>>>>> On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 9:39 AM Krisztián
Szűcs
> > > > > > >>>>>> <szucs.krisztian@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > > > > >>>>>>> The proof of the pudding is in
the eating. You convinced
> > me.
> > > > > > >>>>>>>
> > > > > > >>>>>>> On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 3:31 PM
Wes McKinney <
> > > > > wesmckinn@gmail.com>
> > > > > > >>>>>> wrote:
> > > > > > >>>>>>>> Krisztian -- are you all right
with proceeding with
> > merging
> > > > the
> > > > > CMake
> > > > > > >>>>>>>> refactor? I'm pretty committed
to helping fix the
> problems
> > > > that
> > > > > come
> > > > > > >>>>>>>> up. Since most consumers of
the project don't test until
> > > > > _after_ a
> > > > > > >>>>>>>> release, we won't find out
about some problems until we
> > > merge
> > > > > it and
> > > > > > >>>>>>>> release it. Thus, IMHO it doesn't
make sense to wait
> > another
> > > > > 8-10
> > > > > > >>>>>>>> weeks since we'd be delaying
feedback for that long.
> There
> > > are
> > > > > also a
> > > > > > >>>>>>>> number of follow-on issues
blocking on the refactor
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>
> > > > > > >>>>>>>> On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 11:39
AM Andy Grove <
> > > > > andygrove73@gmail.com>
> > > > > > >>>>>> wrote:
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>> I've cleaned up my issues
for Rust, moving most of them
> > to
> > > > > 0.14.0.
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>> I have two PRs in progress
that I would appreciate
> > reviews
> > > > on:
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>> https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/3671
- [Rust]
> Table
> > > API
> > > > > (a.k.a
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>> DataFrame)
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>> https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/3851
- [Rust]
> > Parquet
> > > > > data
> > > > > > >>>>>> source
> > > > > > >>>>>>>> in
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>> DataFusion
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>> Once these are merged I
have some small follow up PRs
> for
> > > > > 0.13.0
> > > > > > >>>>>> that I
> > > > > > >>>>>>>> can
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>> get done this week.
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>> Thanks,
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>> Andy.
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>> On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at
8:21 AM Wes McKinney <
> > > > > wesmckinn@gmail.com>
> > > > > > >>>>>>>> wrote:
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> hi folks,
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> I think we are on track
to be able to release toward
> the
> > > end
> > > > > of
> > > > > > >>>>>> this
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> month. My proposed
timeline:
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> * This week (March
11-15): feature/improvement push
> > mostly
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> * Next week (March
18-22): shift to bug fixes,
> > > > stabilization,
> > > > > empty
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> backlog of feature/improvement
JIRAs
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> * Week of March 25:
propose release candidate
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> Does this seem reasonable?
This puts us at about 9-10
> > > weeks
> > > > > from
> > > > > > >>>>>> 0.12.
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> We need an RM for 0.13,
any PMCs want to volunteer?
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> Take a look at our
release page:
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>
> > > > > > >>>>>>
> > > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=103091219
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> Out of the open or
in-progress issues, we have:
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> * C#: 3 issues
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> * C++ (all components):
51 issues
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> * Java: 3 issues
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> * Python: 38 issues
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> * Rust (all components):
33 issues
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> Please help curating
the backlogs for each component.
> > > > There's
> > > > > a
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> smattering of issues
in other categories. There are
> also
> > > 10
> > > > > open
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> issues with No Component
(and 20 resolved issues),
> those
> > > > need
> > > > > their
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> metadata fixed.
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> Thanks,
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> Wes
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> On Wed, Feb 27, 2019
at 1:49 PM Wes McKinney <
> > > > > wesmckinn@gmail.com>
> > > > > > >>>>>>>> wrote:
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>> The timeline for
the 0.13 release is drawing closer.
> I
> > > > would
> > > > > say
> > > > > > >>>>>> we
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>> should consider
a release candidate either the week
> of
> > > > March
> > > > > 18
> > > > > > >>>>>> or
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>> March 25, which
gives us ~3 weeks to close out
> backlog
> > > > items.
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>>
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>> There are around
220 issues open or in-progress in
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>>
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>>
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>
> > > > >
> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ARROW/Arrow+0.13.0+Release
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>> Please have a look.
If issues are not assigned to
> > someone
> > > > as
> > > > > the
> > > > > > >>>>>> next
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>> couple of weeks
pass by I'll begin moving at least
> C++
> > > and
> > > > > Python
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>> issues to 0.14
that don't seem like they're going to
> > get
> > > > > done for
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>> 0.13. If development
stakeholders for C#, Java, Rust,
> > > Ruby,
> > > > > and
> > > > > > >>>>>> other
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>> components can
review and curate the issues that
> would
> > be
> > > > > > >>>>>> helpful.
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>> You can help keep
the JIRA issues tidy by making sure
> > to
> > > > add
> > > > > Fix
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>> Version to issues
and to make sure to add a Component
> > so
> > > > that
> > > > > > >>>>>> issues
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>> are properly categorized
in the release notes.
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>>
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>> Thanks
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>> Wes
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>>
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>> On Sat, Feb 9,
2019 at 10:39 AM Wes McKinney <
> > > > > > >>>>>> wesmckinn@gmail.com>
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> wrote:
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>>> See
> > > > > > >>>>>>
> > > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ARROW/Release+Management+Guide
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>>> The source
release step is one of the places where
> > > > problems
> > > > > > >>>>>> occur.
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>>> On Sat, Feb
9, 2019, 10:33 AM <aneesh@quiltdata.io
> > > wrote:
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>> On
Feb 8, 2019, at 9:19 AM, Uwe L. Korn <
> > > > mail@uwekorn.com
> > > > > >
> > > > > > >>>>>>>> wrote:
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>> We
could dockerize some of the release steps to
> > ensure
> > > > > that
> > > > > > >>>>>> they
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> run in the same environment.
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>>>> I may be
able to help with said Dockerization. If
> not
> > > for
> > > > > this
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> release, then for the
next. Are there docs on which
> > > systems
> > > > we
> > > > > > >>>>>> wish to
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> target and/or any build
steps beyond the current dev
> > > > > container (
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>
> > https://github.com/apache/arrow/tree/master/dev/container
> > > )?
> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>
> > > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
>

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message