arrow-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Krisztián Szűcs <szucs.kriszt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Timeline for 0.13 Arrow release
Date Mon, 25 Mar 2019 13:12:10 GMT
Hello all,

I'm working on the conda and wheel builds:
https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/3832
https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/4024
These must pass before We can cut the release.


On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 2:08 PM Wes McKinney <wesmckinn@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I think we should close the 0.13 backlog and try to get an RC0 out ASAP.
> What work must get done before that happens?
>
> I intend to sort out ARROW-4872 today.
>
> Thanks
> Wes
>
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2019, 5:00 PM Brian Hulette <hulettbh@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I think that makes sense. I would really like to make JS part of the
> > mainstream releases, but we already have JS-0.4.1 ready to go [1] with
> > primarily bugfixes for JS-0.4.0. I think we should just cut that and
> > integrate JS in 0.14.
> >
> > [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/ARROW/versions/12344961
> >
> > On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 8:20 AM Wes McKinney <wesmckinn@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > In light of the discussion on
> > > https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/3630 I think we should wait until
> > > we have a "not broken" JavaScript-only release on NPM and have
> > > confidence that we can respond to the community's needs
> > >
> > > On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 11:24 PM Paul Taylor <ptaylor@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > I agree, the JS has matured a lot in the last few months. I think
> it's
> > > > ready to join the regular Arrow releases. Let me know if I can help
> > > > integrate the publish scripts :-)
> > > >
> > > > The two main things in progress are docs + Vector Builders, neither
> of
> > > > which should block this release.
> > > >
> > > > We're going to try to get the docs/recipes ready for a PR this
> weekend.
> > > > If that lands shortly after 0.13.0 goes out, would it be possible to
> > > > update the website independently, or would that need to wait until
> > 0.14?
> > > >
> > > > Paul
> > > >
> > > > On 3/19/19 10:08 AM, Wes McKinney wrote:
> > > > > I'm in favor of including JS in the 0.13.0 release.
> > > > >
> > > > > I'm going to try to fix a couple of the Python Parquet bugs until
> the
> > > > > RC is ready to be cut, but none of them need block the release.
> > > > >
> > > > > Seems like we need someone else to volunteer to be the RM for 0.13
> if
> > > > > Uwe is unavailable next week. Antoine -- are you possibly up for
it
> > > > > (the initial setup will be a bit painful)? I don't have access to
a
> > > > > machine with my code signing key on it until next week so I cannot
> do
> > > > > it
> > > > >
> > > > > - Wes
> > > > >
> > > > > On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 9:46 AM Kouhei Sutou <kou@clear-code.com>
> > > wrote:
> > > > >> Hi,
> > > > >>
> > > > >> There are no blockers on GLib, Ruby and Linux packages.
> > > > >>
> > > > >> Can we include JavaScript into 0.13.0?
> > > > >> If we include JavaScript into 0.13.0, we can remove
> > > > >> codes to release JavaScript separately. For example, we can
> > > > >> remove dev/release/js-*. We can enable version update code
> > > > >> in dev/release/00-prepare.sh:
> > > > >>
> > >
> >
> https://github.com/apache/arrow/blob/master/dev/release/00-prepare.sh#L67-L74
> > > > >>
> > > > >> We can merge "JavaScript Releases" document into our release
> > > > >> document:
> > > > >>
> > >
> >
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ARROW/Release+Management+Guide#ReleaseManagementGuide-JavaScriptReleases
> > > > >>
> > > > >>
> > > > >> Thanks,
> > > > >> --
> > > > >> kou
> > > > >>
> > > > >> In <
> > > CAJPUwMBGjzbwrwYBwse6BD9LnN_7XOZN_aQ2JOB9_MPVMHc07w@mail.gmail.com>
> > > > >>    "Re: Timeline for 0.13 Arrow release" on Mon, 18 Mar 2019
> > 20:51:12
> > > -0500,
> > > > >>    Wes McKinney <wesmckinn@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > > >>
> > > > >>> hi folks,
> > > > >>>
> > > > >>> I think we're basically at the 0.13 end game here. There's
some
> > more
> > > > >>> patches can get in, but do we all think we can cut an RC
by the
> end
> > > of
> > > > >>> the week? What are the blocking issues?
> > > > >>>
> > > > >>> Thanks
> > > > >>> Wes
> > > > >>>
> > > > >>> On Sat, Mar 16, 2019 at 9:57 PM Kouhei Sutou <kou@clear-code.com
> >
> > > wrote:
> > > > >>>> Hi,
> > > > >>>>
> > > > >>>>> Submitted the packaging builds:
> > > > >>>>>
> > >
> >
> https://github.com/kszucs/crossbow/branches/all?utf8=%E2%9C%93&query=build-452
> > > > >>>> I've fixed .deb/.rpm packages:
> > > https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/3934
> > > > >>>> It has been merged.
> > > > >>>> So .deb/.rpm packages are ready for release.
> > > > >>>>
> > > > >>>> Thanks,
> > > > >>>> --
> > > > >>>> kou
> > > > >>>>
> > > > >>>> In <
> > > CAHM19a5SOmZxGcphc6eE-Mr2USVVhWB252UdGjrVocQ-CB2dag@mail.gmail.com>
> > > > >>>>    "Re: Timeline for 0.13 Arrow release" on Thu, 14 Mar
2019
> > > 16:24:43 +0100,
> > > > >>>>    Krisztián Szűcs <szucs.krisztian@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > > > >>>>
> > > > >>>>> Submitted the packaging builds:
> > > > >>>>>
> > >
> >
> https://github.com/kszucs/crossbow/branches/all?utf8=%E2%9C%93&query=build-452
> > > > >>>>>
> > > > >>>>> On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 4:19 PM Wes McKinney <
> > wesmckinn@gmail.com>
> > > wrote:
> > > > >>>>>
> > > > >>>>>> The CMake refactor is merged! Kudos to Uwe for
3+ weeks of
> hard
> > > labor on
> > > > >>>>>> this.
> > > > >>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>> We should run all the packaging tasks and get
a full
> accounting
> > of
> > > > >>>>>> what is broken so we aren't surprised during
the release
> process
> > > > >>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>> On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 9:39 AM Krisztián Szűcs
> > > > >>>>>> <szucs.krisztian@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > > >>>>>>> The proof of the pudding is in the eating.
You convinced me.
> > > > >>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>> On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 3:31 PM Wes McKinney
<
> > > wesmckinn@gmail.com>
> > > > >>>>>> wrote:
> > > > >>>>>>>> Krisztian -- are you all right with proceeding
with merging
> > the
> > > CMake
> > > > >>>>>>>> refactor? I'm pretty committed to helping
fix the problems
> > that
> > > come
> > > > >>>>>>>> up. Since most consumers of the project
don't test until
> > > _after_ a
> > > > >>>>>>>> release, we won't find out about some
problems until we
> merge
> > > it and
> > > > >>>>>>>> release it. Thus, IMHO it doesn't make
sense to wait another
> > > 8-10
> > > > >>>>>>>> weeks since we'd be delaying feedback
for that long. There
> are
> > > also a
> > > > >>>>>>>> number of follow-on issues blocking on
the refactor
> > > > >>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>> On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 11:39 AM Andy
Grove <
> > > andygrove73@gmail.com>
> > > > >>>>>> wrote:
> > > > >>>>>>>>> I've cleaned up my issues for Rust,
moving most of them to
> > > 0.14.0.
> > > > >>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>> I have two PRs in progress that I
would appreciate reviews
> > on:
> > > > >>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>> https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/3671
- [Rust] Table
> API
> > > (a.k.a
> > > > >>>>>>>>> DataFrame)
> > > > >>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>> https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/3851
- [Rust] Parquet
> > > data
> > > > >>>>>> source
> > > > >>>>>>>> in
> > > > >>>>>>>>> DataFusion
> > > > >>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>> Once these are merged I have some
small follow up PRs for
> > > 0.13.0
> > > > >>>>>> that I
> > > > >>>>>>>> can
> > > > >>>>>>>>> get done this week.
> > > > >>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>> Thanks,
> > > > >>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>> Andy.
> > > > >>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>> On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 8:21 AM Wes
McKinney <
> > > wesmckinn@gmail.com>
> > > > >>>>>>>> wrote:
> > > > >>>>>>>>>> hi folks,
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>>> I think we are on track to be
able to release toward the
> end
> > > of
> > > > >>>>>> this
> > > > >>>>>>>>>> month. My proposed timeline:
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>>> * This week (March 11-15): feature/improvement
push mostly
> > > > >>>>>>>>>> * Next week (March 18-22): shift
to bug fixes,
> > stabilization,
> > > empty
> > > > >>>>>>>>>> backlog of feature/improvement
JIRAs
> > > > >>>>>>>>>> * Week of March 25: propose release
candidate
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>>> Does this seem reasonable? This
puts us at about 9-10
> weeks
> > > from
> > > > >>>>>> 0.12.
> > > > >>>>>>>>>> We need an RM for 0.13, any PMCs
want to volunteer?
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>>> Take a look at our release page:
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>
> > >
> >
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=103091219
> > > > >>>>>>>>>> Out of the open or in-progress
issues, we have:
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>>> * C#: 3 issues
> > > > >>>>>>>>>> * C++ (all components): 51 issues
> > > > >>>>>>>>>> * Java: 3 issues
> > > > >>>>>>>>>> * Python: 38 issues
> > > > >>>>>>>>>> * Rust (all components): 33 issues
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>>> Please help curating the backlogs
for each component.
> > There's
> > > a
> > > > >>>>>>>>>> smattering of issues in other
categories. There are also
> 10
> > > open
> > > > >>>>>>>>>> issues with No Component (and
20 resolved issues), those
> > need
> > > their
> > > > >>>>>>>>>> metadata fixed.
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>>> Thanks,
> > > > >>>>>>>>>> Wes
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>>> On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 1:49
PM Wes McKinney <
> > > wesmckinn@gmail.com>
> > > > >>>>>>>> wrote:
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>> The timeline for the 0.13
release is drawing closer. I
> > would
> > > say
> > > > >>>>>> we
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>> should consider a release
candidate either the week of
> > March
> > > 18
> > > > >>>>>> or
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>> March 25, which gives us
~3 weeks to close out backlog
> > items.
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>> There are around 220 issues
open or in-progress in
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>
> > > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ARROW/Arrow+0.13.0+Release
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>> Please have a look. If issues
are not assigned to someone
> > as
> > > the
> > > > >>>>>> next
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>> couple of weeks pass by I'll
begin moving at least C++
> and
> > > Python
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>> issues to 0.14 that don't
seem like they're going to get
> > > done for
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>> 0.13. If development stakeholders
for C#, Java, Rust,
> Ruby,
> > > and
> > > > >>>>>> other
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>> components can review and
curate the issues that would be
> > > > >>>>>> helpful.
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>> You can help keep the JIRA
issues tidy by making sure to
> > add
> > > Fix
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>> Version to issues and to
make sure to add a Component so
> > that
> > > > >>>>>> issues
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>> are properly categorized
in the release notes.
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>> Thanks
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>> Wes
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>> On Sat, Feb 9, 2019 at 10:39
AM Wes McKinney <
> > > > >>>>>> wesmckinn@gmail.com>
> > > > >>>>>>>>>> wrote:
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>>> See
> > > > >>>>>>
> > >
> >
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ARROW/Release+Management+Guide
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>>> The source release step
is one of the places where
> > problems
> > > > >>>>>> occur.
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>>> On Sat, Feb 9, 2019,
10:33 AM <aneesh@quiltdata.io
> wrote:
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>> On Feb 8, 2019,
at 9:19 AM, Uwe L. Korn <
> > mail@uwekorn.com
> > > >
> > > > >>>>>>>> wrote:
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>> We could dockerize
some of the release steps to ensure
> > > that
> > > > >>>>>> they
> > > > >>>>>>>>>> run in the same environment.
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>>>> I may be able to
help with said Dockerization. If not
> for
> > > this
> > > > >>>>>>>>>> release, then for the next. Are
there docs on which
> systems
> > we
> > > > >>>>>> wish to
> > > > >>>>>>>>>> target and/or any build steps
beyond the current dev
> > > container (
> > > > >>>>>>>>>> https://github.com/apache/arrow/tree/master/dev/container
> )?
> > > > >>>>>>>>>>
> > >
> >
>

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message