arrow-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Krisztián Szűcs <szucs.kriszt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Timeline for 0.13 Arrow release
Date Mon, 25 Mar 2019 21:10:37 GMT
Hey,

I'll gladly help Kou. You've postponed the the packaging issues,
but at least the wheel builds must pass, I'm still working on it.

- K

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 10:03 PM Kouhei Sutou <kou@clear-code.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It seems that nobody can be a release manager.
> I'll be the release manager for 0.13.0. But I don't have
> enough time. Could someone help me?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> kou
>
> In <CAHM19a61d-b1EVTP1WoaJztbPwZ5Bvao_jTQUqwE8HsatwcAog@mail.gmail.com>
>   "Re: Timeline for 0.13 Arrow release" on Mon, 25 Mar 2019 15:37:46 +0100,
>   Krisztián Szűcs <szucs.krisztian@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 3:21 PM Wes McKinney <wesmckinn@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> If Gandiva is causing packaging problems for 0.13 as a result of the
> CMake
> >> refactor, I suggest that we drop it from packages and plan to resolve
> for
> >> 0.14. So I think we should set a pretty strict time box for resolution
> of
> >> these issues (eg end of day Tuesday)
> >>
> > Sounds good to me. Do We have a release manager?
> >
> >>
> >> On Mon, Mar 25, 2019, 2:12 PM Krisztián Szűcs <
> szucs.krisztian@gmail.com>
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >> > Hello all,
> >> >
> >> > I'm working on the conda and wheel builds:
> >> > https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/3832
> >> > https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/4024
> >> > These must pass before We can cut the release.
> >> >
> >> >
> >> > On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 2:08 PM Wes McKinney <wesmckinn@gmail.com>
> >> wrote:
> >> >
> >> > > Hi folks,
> >> > >
> >> > > I think we should close the 0.13 backlog and try to get an RC0 out
> >> ASAP.
> >> > > What work must get done before that happens?
> >> > >
> >> > > I intend to sort out ARROW-4872 today.
> >> > >
> >> > > Thanks
> >> > > Wes
> >> > >
> >> > > On Wed, Mar 20, 2019, 5:00 PM Brian Hulette <hulettbh@gmail.com>
> >> wrote:
> >> > >
> >> > > > I think that makes sense. I would really like to make JS part
of
> the
> >> > > > mainstream releases, but we already have JS-0.4.1 ready to go
[1]
> >> with
> >> > > > primarily bugfixes for JS-0.4.0. I think we should just cut that
> and
> >> > > > integrate JS in 0.14.
> >> > > >
> >> > > > [1]
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/ARROW/versions/12344961
> >> > > >
> >> > > > On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 8:20 AM Wes McKinney <wesmckinn@gmail.com
> >
> >> > > wrote:
> >> > > >
> >> > > > > In light of the discussion on
> >> > > > > https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/3630 I think we should
> wait
> >> > until
> >> > > > > we have a "not broken" JavaScript-only release on NPM and
have
> >> > > > > confidence that we can respond to the community's needs
> >> > > > >
> >> > > > > On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 11:24 PM Paul Taylor <
> ptaylor@apache.org>
> >> > > wrote:
> >> > > > > >
> >> > > > > > I agree, the JS has matured a lot in the last few months.
I
> think
> >> > > it's
> >> > > > > > ready to join the regular Arrow releases. Let me know
if I can
> >> help
> >> > > > > > integrate the publish scripts :-)
> >> > > > > >
> >> > > > > > The two main things in progress are docs + Vector Builders,
> >> neither
> >> > > of
> >> > > > > > which should block this release.
> >> > > > > >
> >> > > > > > We're going to try to get the docs/recipes ready for
a PR this
> >> > > weekend.
> >> > > > > > If that lands shortly after 0.13.0 goes out, would
it be
> possible
> >> > to
> >> > > > > > update the website independently, or would that need
to wait
> >> until
> >> > > > 0.14?
> >> > > > > >
> >> > > > > > Paul
> >> > > > > >
> >> > > > > > On 3/19/19 10:08 AM, Wes McKinney wrote:
> >> > > > > > > I'm in favor of including JS in the 0.13.0 release.
> >> > > > > > >
> >> > > > > > > I'm going to try to fix a couple of the Python
Parquet bugs
> >> until
> >> > > the
> >> > > > > > > RC is ready to be cut, but none of them need block
the
> release.
> >> > > > > > >
> >> > > > > > > Seems like we need someone else to volunteer to
be the RM
> for
> >> > 0.13
> >> > > if
> >> > > > > > > Uwe is unavailable next week. Antoine -- are you
possibly up
> >> for
> >> > it
> >> > > > > > > (the initial setup will be a bit painful)? I don't
have
> access
> >> > to a
> >> > > > > > > machine with my code signing key on it until next
week so I
> >> > cannot
> >> > > do
> >> > > > > > > it
> >> > > > > > >
> >> > > > > > > - Wes
> >> > > > > > >
> >> > > > > > > On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 9:46 AM Kouhei Sutou <
> >> kou@clear-code.com
> >> > >
> >> > > > > wrote:
> >> > > > > > >> Hi,
> >> > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > >> There are no blockers on GLib, Ruby and Linux
packages.
> >> > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > >> Can we include JavaScript into 0.13.0?
> >> > > > > > >> If we include JavaScript into 0.13.0, we can
remove
> >> > > > > > >> codes to release JavaScript separately. For
example, we can
> >> > > > > > >> remove dev/release/js-*. We can enable version
update code
> >> > > > > > >> in dev/release/00-prepare.sh:
> >> > > > > > >>
> >> > > > >
> >> > > >
> >> > >
> >> >
> >>
> https://github.com/apache/arrow/blob/master/dev/release/00-prepare.sh#L67-L74
> >> > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > >> We can merge "JavaScript Releases" document
into our
> release
> >> > > > > > >> document:
> >> > > > > > >>
> >> > > > >
> >> > > >
> >> > >
> >> >
> >>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ARROW/Release+Management+Guide#ReleaseManagementGuide-JavaScriptReleases
> >> > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > >> Thanks,
> >> > > > > > >> --
> >> > > > > > >> kou
> >> > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > >> In <
> >> > > > >
> CAJPUwMBGjzbwrwYBwse6BD9LnN_7XOZN_aQ2JOB9_MPVMHc07w@mail.gmail.com
> >> >
> >> > > > > > >>    "Re: Timeline for 0.13 Arrow release" on
Mon, 18 Mar
> 2019
> >> > > > 20:51:12
> >> > > > > -0500,
> >> > > > > > >>    Wes McKinney <wesmckinn@gmail.com>
wrote:
> >> > > > > > >>
> >> > > > > > >>> hi folks,
> >> > > > > > >>>
> >> > > > > > >>> I think we're basically at the 0.13 end
game here. There's
> >> some
> >> > > > more
> >> > > > > > >>> patches can get in, but do we all think
we can cut an RC
> by
> >> the
> >> > > end
> >> > > > > of
> >> > > > > > >>> the week? What are the blocking issues?
> >> > > > > > >>>
> >> > > > > > >>> Thanks
> >> > > > > > >>> Wes
> >> > > > > > >>>
> >> > > > > > >>> On Sat, Mar 16, 2019 at 9:57 PM Kouhei
Sutou <
> >> > kou@clear-code.com
> >> > > >
> >> > > > > wrote:
> >> > > > > > >>>> Hi,
> >> > > > > > >>>>
> >> > > > > > >>>>> Submitted the packaging builds:
> >> > > > > > >>>>>
> >> > > > >
> >> > > >
> >> > >
> >> >
> >>
> https://github.com/kszucs/crossbow/branches/all?utf8=%E2%9C%93&query=build-452
> >> > > > > > >>>> I've fixed .deb/.rpm packages:
> >> > > > > https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/3934
> >> > > > > > >>>> It has been merged.
> >> > > > > > >>>> So .deb/.rpm packages are ready for
release.
> >> > > > > > >>>>
> >> > > > > > >>>> Thanks,
> >> > > > > > >>>> --
> >> > > > > > >>>> kou
> >> > > > > > >>>>
> >> > > > > > >>>> In <
> >> > > > >
> CAHM19a5SOmZxGcphc6eE-Mr2USVVhWB252UdGjrVocQ-CB2dag@mail.gmail.com
> >> >
> >> > > > > > >>>>    "Re: Timeline for 0.13 Arrow release"
on Thu, 14 Mar
> 2019
> >> > > > > 16:24:43 +0100,
> >> > > > > > >>>>    Krisztián Szűcs <szucs.krisztian@gmail.com>
wrote:
> >> > > > > > >>>>
> >> > > > > > >>>>> Submitted the packaging builds:
> >> > > > > > >>>>>
> >> > > > >
> >> > > >
> >> > >
> >> >
> >>
> https://github.com/kszucs/crossbow/branches/all?utf8=%E2%9C%93&query=build-452
> >> > > > > > >>>>>
> >> > > > > > >>>>> On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 4:19 PM
Wes McKinney <
> >> > > > wesmckinn@gmail.com>
> >> > > > > wrote:
> >> > > > > > >>>>>
> >> > > > > > >>>>>> The CMake refactor is merged!
Kudos to Uwe for 3+
> weeks of
> >> > > hard
> >> > > > > labor on
> >> > > > > > >>>>>> this.
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>
> >> > > > > > >>>>>> We should run all the packaging
tasks and get a full
> >> > > accounting
> >> > > > of
> >> > > > > > >>>>>> what is broken so we aren't
surprised during the
> release
> >> > > process
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>
> >> > > > > > >>>>>> On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 9:39
AM Krisztián Szűcs
> >> > > > > > >>>>>> <szucs.krisztian@gmail.com>
wrote:
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>> The proof of the pudding
is in the eating. You
> convinced
> >> > me.
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>> On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at
3:31 PM Wes McKinney <
> >> > > > > wesmckinn@gmail.com>
> >> > > > > > >>>>>> wrote:
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>> Krisztian -- are you
all right with proceeding with
> >> > merging
> >> > > > the
> >> > > > > CMake
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>> refactor? I'm pretty
committed to helping fix the
> >> problems
> >> > > > that
> >> > > > > come
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>> up. Since most consumers
of the project don't test
> until
> >> > > > > _after_ a
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>> release, we won't
find out about some problems until
> we
> >> > > merge
> >> > > > > it and
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>> release it. Thus,
IMHO it doesn't make sense to wait
> >> > another
> >> > > > > 8-10
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>> weeks since we'd be
delaying feedback for that long.
> >> There
> >> > > are
> >> > > > > also a
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>> number of follow-on
issues blocking on the refactor
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>> On Tue, Mar 12, 2019
at 11:39 AM Andy Grove <
> >> > > > > andygrove73@gmail.com>
> >> > > > > > >>>>>> wrote:
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>> I've cleaned up
my issues for Rust, moving most of
> them
> >> > to
> >> > > > > 0.14.0.
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>> I have two PRs
in progress that I would appreciate
> >> > reviews
> >> > > > on:
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>> https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/3671
- [Rust]
> >> Table
> >> > > API
> >> > > > > (a.k.a
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>> DataFrame)
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>> https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/3851
- [Rust]
> >> > Parquet
> >> > > > > data
> >> > > > > > >>>>>> source
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>> in
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>> DataFusion
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>> Once these are
merged I have some small follow up
> PRs
> >> for
> >> > > > > 0.13.0
> >> > > > > > >>>>>> that I
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>> can
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>> get done this
week.
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>> Thanks,
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>> Andy.
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>> On Tue, Mar 12,
2019 at 8:21 AM Wes McKinney <
> >> > > > > wesmckinn@gmail.com>
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>> wrote:
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> hi folks,
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> I think we
are on track to be able to release
> toward
> >> the
> >> > > end
> >> > > > > of
> >> > > > > > >>>>>> this
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> month. My
proposed timeline:
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> * This week
(March 11-15): feature/improvement push
> >> > mostly
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> * Next week
(March 18-22): shift to bug fixes,
> >> > > > stabilization,
> >> > > > > empty
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> backlog of
feature/improvement JIRAs
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> * Week of
March 25: propose release candidate
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> Does this
seem reasonable? This puts us at about
> 9-10
> >> > > weeks
> >> > > > > from
> >> > > > > > >>>>>> 0.12.
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> We need an
RM for 0.13, any PMCs want to volunteer?
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> Take a look
at our release page:
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>
> >> > > > >
> >> > > >
> >> > >
> >> >
> >>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=103091219
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> Out of the
open or in-progress issues, we have:
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> * C#: 3 issues
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> * C++ (all
components): 51 issues
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> * Java: 3
issues
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> * Python:
38 issues
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> * Rust (all
components): 33 issues
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> Please help
curating the backlogs for each
> component.
> >> > > > There's
> >> > > > > a
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> smattering
of issues in other categories. There are
> >> also
> >> > > 10
> >> > > > > open
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> issues with
No Component (and 20 resolved issues),
> >> those
> >> > > > need
> >> > > > > their
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> metadata fixed.
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> Thanks,
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> Wes
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> On Wed, Feb
27, 2019 at 1:49 PM Wes McKinney <
> >> > > > > wesmckinn@gmail.com>
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>> wrote:
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>> The timeline
for the 0.13 release is drawing
> closer.
> >> I
> >> > > > would
> >> > > > > say
> >> > > > > > >>>>>> we
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>> should
consider a release candidate either the
> week
> >> of
> >> > > > March
> >> > > > > 18
> >> > > > > > >>>>>> or
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>> March
25, which gives us ~3 weeks to close out
> >> backlog
> >> > > > items.
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>>
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>> There
are around 220 issues open or in-progress in
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>>
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>>
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>
> >> > > > >
> >> >
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ARROW/Arrow+0.13.0+Release
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>> Please
have a look. If issues are not assigned to
> >> > someone
> >> > > > as
> >> > > > > the
> >> > > > > > >>>>>> next
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>> couple
of weeks pass by I'll begin moving at least
> >> C++
> >> > > and
> >> > > > > Python
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>> issues
to 0.14 that don't seem like they're going
> to
> >> > get
> >> > > > > done for
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>> 0.13.
If development stakeholders for C#, Java,
> Rust,
> >> > > Ruby,
> >> > > > > and
> >> > > > > > >>>>>> other
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>> components
can review and curate the issues that
> >> would
> >> > be
> >> > > > > > >>>>>> helpful.
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>> You can
help keep the JIRA issues tidy by making
> sure
> >> > to
> >> > > > add
> >> > > > > Fix
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>> Version
to issues and to make sure to add a
> Component
> >> > so
> >> > > > that
> >> > > > > > >>>>>> issues
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>> are properly
categorized in the release notes.
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>>
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>> Thanks
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>> Wes
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>>
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>> On Sat,
Feb 9, 2019 at 10:39 AM Wes McKinney <
> >> > > > > > >>>>>> wesmckinn@gmail.com>
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> wrote:
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>>> See
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>
> >> > > > >
> >> > > >
> >> > >
> >> >
> >>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ARROW/Release+Management+Guide
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>>> The
source release step is one of the places
> where
> >> > > > problems
> >> > > > > > >>>>>> occur.
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>>> On
Sat, Feb 9, 2019, 10:33 AM <
> aneesh@quiltdata.io
> >> > > wrote:
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
On Feb 8, 2019, at 9:19 AM, Uwe L. Korn <
> >> > > > mail@uwekorn.com
> >> > > > > >
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>> wrote:
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
We could dockerize some of the release steps to
> >> > ensure
> >> > > > > that
> >> > > > > > >>>>>> they
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> run in the
same environment.
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>>>>
I may be able to help with said Dockerization.
> If
> >> not
> >> > > for
> >> > > > > this
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> release, then
for the next. Are there docs on which
> >> > > systems
> >> > > > we
> >> > > > > > >>>>>> wish to
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>> target and/or
any build steps beyond the current
> dev
> >> > > > > container (
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>
> >> > https://github.com/apache/arrow/tree/master/dev/container
> >> > > )?
> >> > > > > > >>>>>>>>>>
> >> > > > >
> >> > > >
> >> > >
> >> >
> >>
>

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message