arrow-dev mailing list archives

From "Uwe L. Korn" <uw...@xhochy.com>
Subject Re: CMake refactor Heads-up
Date Mon, 18 Mar 2019 12:59:48 GMT
Hello Antoine,

you're running into https://github.com/ContinuumIO/anaconda-issues/issues/10731 I would rather
have Anaconda fix this but we can also add alternative detection for this. I've opened https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARROW-4946,
 I can then look into this the next hours/tomorrow. As with double-conversion, `-DFlatbuffers_SOURCE=BUNDLED`
is a possible workaround until then.

Uwe

On Mon, Mar 18, 2019, at 1:55 PM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:

> Ah, apparently I can do it through `-Ddouble-conversion_SOURCE=BUNDLED`.
>
> Now there's another issue: the CMake configuration fails to find flatbuffers,
> even though I have flatbuffers 1.7.1 installed from Anaconda.
>

> CMake Error at cmake_modules/ThirdpartyToolchain.cmake:152 (find_package):
>   By not providing "FindFlatbuffers.cmake" in CMAKE_MODULE_PATH this project
>   has asked CMake to find a package configuration file provided by
>   "Flatbuffers", but CMake did not find one.
>
>   Could not find a package configuration file provided by "Flatbuffers" with
>   any of the following names:
>
>     FlatbuffersConfig.cmake
>     flatbuffers-config.cmake
>
>   Add the installation prefix of "Flatbuffers" to CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH or set
>   "Flatbuffers_DIR" to a directory containing one of the above files.  If
>   "Flatbuffers" provides a separate development package or SDK, be sure it
>   has been installed.
> Call Stack (most recent call first):
>   cmake_modules/ThirdpartyToolchain.cmake:1485 (resolve_dependency)
>   CMakeLists.txt:544 (include)
>

> Regards
>
> Antoine.
>

> Le 18/03/2019 à 13:51, Antoine Pitrou a écrit :
> >
> > Ok, so I have a problem.  I had the following line:
> >
> >   export DOUBLE_CONVERSION_HOME=
> >
> > which was used to force double-conversion to be built from source
> > despite other dependencies being taken from the Conda environment.  Now
> > it doesn't work anymore, and I haven't found how to emulate it.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Antoine.
> >

> > Le 15/03/2019 à 15:38, Uwe L. Korn a écrit :
> >> Hello fellow Arrow Devs,
> >>
> >> we have merged the CMake refactor yesterday https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/3688
and this means that the build system behaves a bit different. The main differences are:

> >> * If you're in a conda environment, we automatically detect this using the environment
variable $CONDA_PREFIX and expect that all dependencies (except jemalloc and ORC) are installed
via conda.
> >> * Otherwise, we will look in the standard system paths for a dependency. If
it isn't found, we use CMake's ExternalProject mechanism to build it.
> >> * The *_HOME variables are not longer use and are replaced by *_ROOT variables
to use CMake's standard detection features. Be aware that dependencies are no longer written
in all caps but their preferred casing as seen in https://github.com/apache/arrow/blob/0d302125abb4b514dba210f496c574a77ce4cd1d/cpp/cmake_modules/ThirdpartyToolchain.cmake#L41-L59
> >> * You can manually select the way we detect dependencies via ARROW_DEPENDENCY_SOURCE
https://github.com/apache/arrow/blob/0d302125abb4b514dba210f496c574a77ce4cd1d/cpp/CMakeLists.txt#L189-L207
The hope is that you as a developer should not normally need to change this and as packager
for distributions, you can use `ARROW_DEPENDENCY_SOURCE=SYSTEM` to ensure that ExternalProject
is not used but only packages from the package manager. If your system is in a non-default
prefix, you can indicate this by setting ARROW_PACKAGE_PREFIX.

> >> Also, please clear your existing CMake directories and do a fresh built to avoid
any problems. As well when you're using conda packages, please update them all using `conda
update --all` as I have errors in the packaging directly on conda-forge instead of doing workarounds
in our CMake code. A helpful information is here that conda-forge now provides a `compilers`
package that provides the whole build toolchain.