arrow-dev mailing list archives

From Jacques Nadeau <jacq...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Getting started on board report... input?
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2017 06:40:47 GMT
Thanks for the ideas. Here is what I posted:

Arrow is a columnar in-memory analytics layer designed to accelerate big
data.
It houses a set of canonical in-memory representations of flat and
hierarchical data along with multiple language-bindings for structure
manipulation. It also provides IPC and common algorithm implementations.

## Issues:
- There are no issues requiring board attention at this time.

## Activity:
- Arrow has made great progress since the last report.
- The community has actively been driving towards a set of cross-language
  compatibility tests. These are now complete.
- The compatibility tests were a key gate identified to seeing the
  specification as solidified. Now that it is, the community will be
starting
  work on our second release.
- This release will show the arrow projects java arrow, arrow-cpp, py-arrow
  and Parquet's parquet-cpp all working nicely together.

## Health report:
- A core group of community members continue to make good progress on
various
  aspects of both the Java, C++ and python projects.
- We're seen a small number of casual contributors arrive and provide
  additional patches to the project.
- Multiple people have been doing community outreach through the various
blog
  posts, meetups and conference presentations. Examples include
  - Upcoming talk at Strata San Jose in March
  - Upcoming talk at Dataworks Summit Munich in April
  - Arrow and Pandas vision: https://s.apache.org/arrow_1701_01
  - Python Data Wrangling talk: https://s.apache.org/arrow_1701_02
- We continue to see nice growth in mailing list and jira activity.

## PMC changes:

- Currently 18 PMC members.
- Wes McKinney was added to the PMC on Wed Oct 19 2016

## Committer base changes:

- Currently 21 committers.
- Uwe Korn was added as a committer on Thu Oct 27 2016

## Releases:

- Last release was 0.1.0 on Tue Oct 11 2016

## JIRA activity: