arrow-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Foss <donald.f...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Weld
Date Sat, 19 Nov 2016 12:31:16 GMT
Did you find that at https://cs.stanford.edu/~matei/? <https://cs.stanford.edu/~matei/?>
 That’s the only thing I can find via Google about it.  Do you have more detail or a link
to the paper itself?  I get the feeling that it is not yet fully complete despite 21 November
camera-ready CIDR 2017 deadline.

For those who aren’t familiar with CIDR, it is a conference that occurs every other year.
 This year’s agenda/program may be found at http://cidrdb.org/cidr2017/program.html <http://cidrdb.org/cidr2017/program.html>.
 CIDR is not an acronym for network subnet masks—the first thing I thought of, Classless
Inter Domain Routing, but Conference on Innovative Data Systems Research, which focuses primarily
on systems.  I hate to admit this, but I’m unfamiliar with the conference, however that
appears that it is because I’ve been out of academia for far too long, and this conference
seems to be the presentation of quite a few interesting papers.  Just judging by title, a
poor, yet humorous judge indeed, I like:
- “Dependency-Driven Analytics: A Compass for Uncharted Data Oceans” (Donald - Why just
data lakes when you can have data oceans?)
- “My Weak Consistency is Strong” (Donald - Great title, reminds me of Star Wars and the
“Force”)
- “SPOOF: Sum-Product Optimization and Operator Fusion for Large-Scale Machine Learning”
(Donald - Another brilliant backronym.)

The Weld paper is the last paper to be presented on 10 January 2017 between 2:30 and 4:05
(UTC-8).

On a side note, looking down that page a little, I love the title of the last paper in 2016,
Yggdrasil: An Optimized System for Training Deep Decision Trees at Scale <https://cs.stanford.edu/~matei/papers/2016/nips_yggdrasil.pdf>.
 When I see Yggdrasil, the first thing I think of is a really big tree and Norse mythology.
 It’s a great name.  I’m going to read some of his other papers this weekend.

Donald Foss
donald.foss@gmail.com

The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended
solely for the addressee. Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorized.

> On Nov 18, 2016, at 4:42 PM, Julian Hyde <jhyde@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Anyone know anything about Matei Zaharia’s Weld project?
>
> 	• S. Palkar, J. Thomas, A. Shanbhag, H. Pirk, M. Schwarzkopf, S. Amarasinghe and M.
Zaharia. Weld: A Common Runtime for High Performance Data Analytics, to appear at CIDR 2017.