arrow-dev mailing list archives

From Leif Walsh <leif.wa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Understanding "shared" memory implications
Date Wed, 16 Mar 2016 14:06:16 GMT
Seems to me IPC/LPC/RPC focuses on the wrong distinction. I think the right
one is between async message-passing (over a socket), where the receiver
decides when to handle the message, and synchronous/direct memory
manipulation (shared mmap, rdma), where the "client" manipulates the
"server's" (rather, shared) memory directly. In the former case, the server
has more gatekeeper-like control over scheduling, and in the latter, the
server may need to poll the shared memory segment in order to know a write
has happened.
On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 09:47 Ted Dunning <ted.dunning@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 5:54 PM, Jacques Nadeau <jacques@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
> > How do others feel of my redefinition of IPC to mean the same memory
> space
> > communication (either via shared memory or rdma) versus RPC as socket
> based
> > communication?
> >

> IPC already has a strong definition which is close to what you want so it
> isn't so strange.
>
> On the other hand, you could coin something like LPC (local process
> communication) to contrast with RPC (remote process communication).

Cheers,
Leif