arrow-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Brust <andrew.br...@bluebadgeinsights.com>
Subject RE: Question about mutability
Date Wed, 24 Feb 2016 19:17:09 GMT
Hmm...that's not exactly how Jaques described things to me when he briefed me on Arrow ahead
of the announcement.

-----Original Message-----
From: Zhe Zhang [mailto:zhz@apache.org]
Sent: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 2:08 PM
To: dev@arrow.apache.org
Subject: Re: Question about mutability

I don't think one application/process's memory space will be made available to other applications/processes.
It's fundamentally hard for processes to share their address spaces.

IIUC, with Arrow, when application A shares data with application B, the data is still duplicated
in the memory spaces of A and B. It's just that data serialization/deserialization are much
faster with Arrow (compared with Protobuf).