aries-user mailing list archives

From Mark Nuttall <mnutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Spring DM/Blueprint Services
Date Thu, 26 Aug 2010 16:40:33 GMT
Enterprise 4.2 spec, section 121.7.9:

"It is an error to declare a mandatory reference to a service that is
registered by the same bundle. Such
a definition could cause either deadlock or a timeout."

Regards,
Mark

On 26 August 2010 17:26, Alasdair Nottingham <not@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I can't comment on Spring DM, because I don't have any experience
> there, but if you use blueprint it can be possible if you define the
> reference to have an optional availability for example:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <blueprint xmlns="http://www.osgi.org/xmlns/blueprint/v1.0.0">
>        <bean class="privatepackage.Interface1Impl" init-method="init"
>                id="bean1">
>                <property name="thing" ref="ref1"></property>
>        </bean>
>        <bean class="privatepackage.Interface2Impl" id="bean2"></bean>
>        <service ref="bean1" interface="publicpackage.Interface1"></service>
>        <service ref="bean2" interface="publicpackage.Interface2"></service>
>        <reference id="ref1" interface="publicpackage.Interface2"
>                availability="optional">
>        </reference>
> </blueprint>
>
> Having run this through the init method of Interface1Impl has the
> reference injected by the time it is called, but of course this isn't
> necessarily safe to assume.
>
> I'm going to head back to the blueprint spec to see if this cycle is
> prohibited from working for a mandatory reference, but if it isn't
> I'll raise a JIRA to allow this type of cycle.
>
> Alasdair
>
> On 26 August 2010 16:17, Kirk Knoernschild <pragkirk@kirkk.com> wrote:
>> I've been using Spring DM, and one thing that I'm struggling with is that a bundle
that exports a service is unable to use that service. This seems to be a feasible design option,
and I'm wondering what others have done to work around it.

>> For instance, let's say I have three bundles.
>>
>> BundleA with Interface1, Interface2, Interface1Impl, and Interface2Impl1.
>> BundleB with Interface2Impl2
>> BundleC with ClassC that uses Interface1.
>>
>> On start, BundleA registers two new services Interface1Service and Interface2Service,
using Interface1Impl and Interface2Impl1 as their implementations, respectively. As it happens,
the Interface1Impl requires an Interface2 type, so using Spring DM, I've tried injecting the
Interface2 service into the Interface1 service. It doesn't work because Spring DM doesn't
allow a bundle to use a service it registers, so I inject it as a regular bean.

>> I want to do this because I install BundleB and register another Interface2Service
service, now using Interface2Impl2. Because I cannot inject the service backed by Interface2Impl1
into the service backed by Interface1Impl, the service backed by Interface1Impl won't be able
to use Interface2Impl2.

>> FWIW, I can move Interface2 and Interface2Impl1 to a separate bundle and register
it as a service. That does work, but it's not the application structure I want.

>> Possibly there is an alternative design to this that is more suitable to this situation.
I'm just not sure what that is at this point. Any suggestions are appreciated.