aries-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Use release per subproject for blueprint
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2017 22:44:31 GMT
On 04.01.2017 18:52, Holly Cummins wrote:
>> I also think if the root problem is test framework doesn't properly handle
>> using the most recent code from peer projects then that is the thing that
>> is broken...
> Addressing this problem is what the 'build with most recent versions' build did - it
would ratchet the versions of all internal dependencies up to the latest level and then run
the tests. So across the two builds there were two test runs, one to make sure everything
still worked with the minimum declared level, and one with the latest level.
> However, that build has been broken for a while, I think.
I know. One problem with this approach is that it took me quite a while
to understand the approach at all. Theoretically I think it was a good
idea but in practice I think it did not really work well. At least when
I started with Aries the build with the latest versions never worked and
I did not understand it well enough to fix it. I also doubt it works
when we have maintenance branches like for Aries JPA 1.x.

What I try to achieve is to make the build simpler. So people with less
experience and or less involvement in Aries can still understand it.

You can call it lazy, Felix ... and it is true to a degree but it is
also an effort to decrease the complexity in development. The more
complex development is the more errors we make and the less new people
we attract. I think in an open source project it is necessary to keep
things approachable.

As a user I was always glad that karaf had features for blueprint and
other Aries bundles as so I had at least one tested combination. For
people who used plain Aries it must have been a horror to keep up with
all the little releases and combine the bundles into a working whole.
With the release by subproject it is much easier to explain to someone
which versions to use. It is also easier to document the releases on the
lists or in blogs. It is a huge difference for users if they need to
follow 10 subprojects or 100 individual bundle releases.

Christian Schneider

Open Source Architect

View raw message