aries-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <>
Subject Re: XAJpaTemplate#txExpr call results in commit attempt after Exception is thrown. Bug?
Date Thu, 11 Feb 2016 16:08:52 GMT
Hi Matthew,

I am also not sure how to handle the exceptions.
The idea about the current code is that you might have a service
interface that defines its own exceptions that do not necessarily mean a
rollback is necessary.
A bit like the default in spring.
The problem though is that we currently can not customize the exceptions
to rollback on.

So I am not sure if this is rather a bug or a change request but the
need for it is quite clear.
So feel free to open an issue.

One thing we could do is change the default to roll back on all
exceptions. Another thing would be to allow to specify which exceptions
to roll back on. The reason why I did not yet
add this is that it makes the interface of JPATemplate a lot more
complicated. This is a bit bad as you have to implement or mock the
interface to write unit tests.

I am also careful about changing interfaces as we need to support them
long term.
Do you have a good idea how the interface of JPATemplate should handle this?

Ideally I would like to use the @Transactional annotation for the
JPATemplate case too. It would allow to specify which exceptions to
rollback on. I am not sure if it can be used in this way though. At
least I found no good way to use it. Since I think Java 7 it seems to be
possible to also have annotations on types. So maybe we could do
something like:
@Reference(target = "(")
JPATemplate jpaTemplate;

Christian Schneider