aries-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Watson <>
Subject Re: Source formatting rules for Aries?
Date Wed, 08 Jul 2015 12:55:28 GMT
How would such rules be loaded by the developer?  AFAIK there are no
eclipse project files checked into source control.  So is it a manual step
a developer has to take to get the rules loaded into the workspace used to
develop Aries code?

Aside from my question: +1 to having a proper code formatter.  I'm not
particular on the rules as long as we don't limit the line length to
something really small.

From:   Christian Schneider <>
Date:   07/08/2015 02:56 AM
Subject:        Re: Source formatting rules for Aries?
Sent by:        Christian Schneider <>

I propose we use some existing formatters from e.g. CXF or Camel. As the
code currently is not formatted like
this at many locations I propose we just provide the rules as eclipse
formatters and do not enforce them.

We could then reformat source files when there are bigger changes. For
smaller changes we should try to keep the original formatting of files
to avoid bigger diffs.

On 07.07.2015 14:38, Jeremy Hughes wrote:
> I actually thought we had some, but can't find them right now. Without
> wanting to start the usual war of personal preference ... I'm happy as
> long as tabs are disallowed and the rules roughly match the majority
> of code we have - avoiding a full-blown code reformatting exercise.
> On 7 July 2015 at 08:50, Christian Schneider <>
>> I just found that Giuseppe indented his source using tabs while I used
>> spaces.
>> Most of the existing code uses spaces so I did the same. I would prefer
>> agreed rules though.
>> So are there any rules for this in aries or ideally even eclipse
>> files? If not can we agree on some rules?
>> Christian
>> --
>> Christian Schneider
>> Open Source Architect