aries-dev mailing list archives

From David Bosschaert <>
Subject Re: Source formatting rules for Aries?
Date Thu, 09 Jul 2015 09:39:27 GMT
I like the idea of having code formatting rules too. Just a couple of
thoughts from my side:
* I hate tabs too
* Line length should be at least 128 or more
* I dislike curlies on a separate line (like is done in some projects)
as it wastes space IMHO. I prefer them at the end of the current line
(open) and start of the line (close). This is pretty much the way it
is done in general in Aries right now.
* I think we should provide code formatter files for popular IDEs that
can format the code according to the rules. These rules should also
know how to format Java 7/Java 8 source code. Especially lambda's,
diamonds and try-with have got me weird results with old formatters.
Maybe the code doesn't use them yet, but at some point it will and I
think it would be good to have stuff in place for that.

Anyway, the above is pretty much as is currently used in Aries, but
just to make sure these are covered.

On 8 July 2015 at 08:55, Christian Schneider <> wrote:
> I propose we use some existing formatters from e.g. CXF or Camel. As the
> code currently is not formatted like
> this at many locations I propose we just provide the rules as eclipse
> formatters and do not enforce them.
> We could then reformat source files when there are bigger changes. For
> smaller changes we should try to keep the original formatting of files to
> avoid bigger diffs.
> Christian
> On 07.07.2015 14:38, Jeremy Hughes wrote:
>> I actually thought we had some, but can't find them right now. Without
>> wanting to start the usual war of personal preference ... I'm happy as
>> long as tabs are disallowed and the rules roughly match the majority
>> of code we have - avoiding a full-blown code reformatting exercise.
>> On 7 July 2015 at 08:50, Christian Schneider <>
>> wrote:
>>> I just found that Giuseppe indented his source using tabs while I used
>>> spaces.
>>> Most of the existing code uses spaces so I did the same. I would prefer
>>> some
>>> agreed rules though.
>>> So are there any rules for this in aries or ideally even eclipse
>>> formatter
>>> files? If not can we agree on some rules?
>>> Christian
>>> --
>>> Christian Schneider
>>> Open Source Architect