aries-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <>
Subject Re: Fwd: Re: Prototype for a new aries jpa impl
Date Wed, 15 Apr 2015 12:20:41 GMT
In the newest code I removed support for transactions and currently rely
on aries transaction for that.
If you use <tx:transaction method="*" value="Required" /> in your bean
then it should work.
The annotation based transactions that aries transaction also provide do
not work for me. Unfortunately defined by aries transaction blueprint is
also not very usable
as you can not set it per class but only per method.

I originally planned to work on aries transaction to better support
annotation based transactions. Unfortuantely the code is quite tailored
for xml described transactions. As the annotations are also not great I
gave up on this for now.

So I propose to write a new module that only covers annotation based
transactions and also uses different annotations. Now the question is if
we should define another set of annotations or just use the jta 1.2
annotations. These are nice but currently do not work in karaf.
Upgrading to these is quite a lot of work. So I tend to wait with this
part until karaf supports the jta 1.2 annotations.

Another possibility would be to define our own set of annotations that
are similar to jhe jta 1.2 ones and make sure the new transaction module
is working with these but then wait for a release until jta 1.2 works in
karaf and switch before the release. This way we would avoid another set
of custom annotations and can still already test.

On 15.04.2015 12:21, Giuseppe Gerla wrote:
> Hi Christian
> I'd like to know if you make some progress about jpa-experiments and
> transaction.
> On my fork I create 2 bundles to make integration test and give you some
> example of my use cases.
> 1. jpa-container-testbundle is equivalent of yours jpa-blueprint-example,
> but I add some code for caching.
> 2. jpa-container-itest start karaf 2.4.1 environment and launch following
> tests:
>        - TaskServiceImplTest.testPersistence is the same of yours but
> without transaction management by code. This test fail because there is no
> transaction manager active
>        - CarServiceImplTest.testCache check that the service is able to
> create a cache. This test pass. If you see the code the getColours method
> use init method in "lazy fetch" mode. If you try to use init method by
> blueprint file to initialize the bean you have an exception because the
> EmSupplier is not ready.
>        - CarServiceImplTest.testDatabaseInitializationQuery check that
> properties are passed to EMF correctly. This test pass.
>        - CarServiceImplTest.testAddQuery check that is possible to insert
> into db. This test fail because there is no transaction manager active
> regards
> Giuseppe
>> Hi Christian
>> I pushed on my fork 2 bundles to test jpa-experiments in an integrated
>> environment.
>> I create to test classes.
>> The first class is for non JTA (LOCL_RESOURCE) transaction that works
>> using .begin(), .commit() by code.
>> The second one is thinked to test JTA transaction. This test doesn't work
>> because it is based on @Transaction annotation, but there is no transaction
>> active.
>> I have a question for you. Using Pax-exam and Junit to do the test, how
>> can I enable the transaction support? I have no xml file...
>> regards
>> Giuseppe
>>> Sorry, for my misunderstanding.
>>> Yesterday I saws rows in table but probably they were entered from the
>>> first version of software that had transactions triggered by xml.
>>> With annotation, it seems that insert work fine but there are no commit
>>> on the database. So I have no new rows in table.
>>> I'd like to create (and I'm working on this topic) a bundle like
>>> jpa-container-itest to do integration test of jpa-experiments.
>>> I hope to commit a first draft of this bundle on my fork this evening.
>>> Regards
>>> Giuseppe
: new

Christian Schneider