aries-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <>
Subject Re: Accepting pull requests for Aries from Github
Date Fri, 28 Mar 2014 13:42:42 GMT

On Mar 28, 2014, at 4:35 AM, wrote:

> That's great - but I'm wondering how this works from an IP-flow point of view.
> I guess that by attaching a patch to a JIRA issue one formally donates
> the code to Apache.
> But by merging a github pull request you take a few commits from
> someone's own fork and add this to the main repo. I guess you could
> view the creation of the pull request itself as a statement by the
> committer that (s)he wants to donate this code?

Yea…..   pretty much that’s it.    They’ve had to specifically click on a few things
to have github initiate the pull request which is enough for us to say they intended to contribute
their changes to Apache.

That said, somethings still would apply.  If the change is “huge”, we’d still want an
ICLA and likely a code grant on file.   But for the simple patches and updates and such, a
pull request is adequate, especially now that the pull requests are ending up on our JIRA
and on the dev lists so there is a good record.

Note:  I had INFRA update the github mirror so the trunk branch is the default instead of
whatever ancient branch it had been using.  Should make forking and such from github easier.

> Anyway - do you know of a formal document somewhere where interaction
> with github (or other code repos) is defined?
> Cheers,
> David
> On 27 March 2014 19:31, Daniel Kulp <> wrote:
>> On Mar 27, 2014, at 8:05 AM, wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> I noticed that there are a few pull requests on Aries at github [1].
>>> I was wondering, can we just apply these, or must they be physically
>>> attached to JIRA issues to correctly follow IP rules?
>>> I noticed that e.g. [2] does mention the pull request in the comments...
>>> Just wondering what the process should be...
>> Pulling the pull requests directly is fine.  Many projects have started preferring
>> When you do, it's sometimes best to amend/edit the commit log to include something
>> "This closes #2"
>> so the pull request will close automatically when you commit.
>> Dan
>>> Cheers,
>>> David
>>> [1]