aries-dev mailing list archives

From "Siano, Stephan" <>
Subject RE: Start-order impl flawed for esa-maven-plugin
Date Thu, 12 Sep 2013 06:29:17 GMT
Hi Graham,

Maven uses some kind of ordering for dependencies to build the classpath. There is some project.getDependencies()
call that returns a list, so this might be worth looking at. However I am not really sure
how useful this startOrder feature in the current form is because usually in maven projects
the order of dependencies is rather irrelevant, so putting some meaning into the order in
which dependencies are defined for some plugin might be somewhat surprising (but that's my
personal opinion and I also do not have a really good idea how to define a start-up order
for bundles in a pom).

Best regards

-----Original Message-----
From: Graham Charters []
Sent: Mittwoch, 11. September 2013 17:49
Subject: Start-order impl flawed for esa-maven-plugin

The esa-maven-plugin purports to enable start-order to be determined by pom
dependency order:

*By default, the Subsystem runtime can start content bundles in any order.
The OSGi start level service is not applicable to subsystems. You can
therefore specify the start order of the bundles based on the order in
which they're expressed as dependencies in the maven pom using the

Unfortunately, the MavenProject.getArtifactDependencies call that this
uses returns a Set and therefore there are no dependency order
guarantees.  I think we either need a way to specify an order element
as part of a pom dependency or a way to get an ordered list of the
dependencies, but I'm not aware of either of these facilities being
available to maven plugins.  If nobody has any suggestions, then I'll
need to pull this support for the existing esa-maven-plugin. :(

Regards, Graham.

View raw message