aries-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <>
Subject Re: Semantic versioning tool and updating packageinfos
Date Mon, 26 Nov 2012 18:20:00 GMT
I turned Emily's code into a maven plugin, but I'm not sure I succeeded in documenting it.
 Mostly it puts correct packaginfo files into the source tree and generates a sort-of report
of problems.  I don't think it fails the build.  You have to specify what the base you are
comparing against is, IIRC in the plugin configuration.   I'm off today but will try to figure
it out soon unless someone beats me to it.

david jencks

On Nov 26, 2012, at 7:46 AM, Holly Cummins wrote:

> Hi all,
> As promised, I've started work on our next batch of releases. This one
> should be way easier than the last batch I did, because it's way smaller.
> However, one thing which is harder is that last time I knew what the
> package and bundle versions were (1.0.0 across the board). This time I have
> to think about it and choose sensible versions.
> Our version policy page (
> confidently says
> that setting bundle versions for a release should be easy because the
> packages will already have the correct version. Sadly, the sample of one
> package I've checked so far has changes, but no bump to the package number.
> This means the release manager will need to verify/set both package and
> bundle version numbers. In the ideal case the packageinfo will be correct,
> but if we can't *guarantee* it's correct, it needs to be checked by the
> release manager.
> Sifting through code changes by hand sounds both boring and unscalable to
> me, so I'd like to revive the conversation about Emily's semantic
> versioning tool. My questions are
> (a) Can the tool help me do this batch of checking, and if so, can someone
> send me idiot's instructions? I'm sure it's documented, but my initial
> google wasn't successful.
> (b) Longer term, wouldn't it be great to get the tool integrated into the
> release plugin? I know we've discussed this before, so I'm mostly chipping
> in again with a "yes please, +1" :)
> (I think last time we discussed this someone suggested that bnd could
> assign version numbers, but my searching suggests that's only in an as-yet
> unreleased version.)
> Holly

View raw message