aries-dev mailing list archives

From Holly Cummins <>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Aries util and blueprint.api 1.0.0 release candidates
Date Tue, 03 Jul 2012 20:25:13 GMT
I have the work to change the group id of the util bundle from
org.apache.aries to org.apache.aries.util ready to commit. It's a
pretty drastic change, so it would be good to get to get more opinions
on whether we think this is a good idea or not.

Opinions on whether we change the util folder to util-bundle also
welcome, since we're currently at one +1, one -1, and one 0 on that

And, while we're collecting opinions, any +1s or -1s to overriding the
deploy goal to prevent releasing the util-r42 and util-parent bits?

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 7:04 PM, Holly Cummins
<> wrote:
> Hi David,
> I think there are two relatively independent issues. One is how we
> name the util folder - should it be util, for consistency with the
> bundle symbolic name, or util-bundle, to make it clear it's an
> aggregator?
> The other issue is the group id of the various util artefacts. It
> looks like the group id was forgotten from the util pom, because it's
> the only bundle we have whose group id is org.apache.aries rather than
> org.apache.aries.somecomponent. So I think we do need to change the
> group id of the bundle, just to bring it in line with our conventions
> for 'normal' bundles.
> Overriding the deploy to ensure the parent or r42 bundles aren't
> inadvertently consumed is a good idea. I think that and the comments
> on the util poms would be sufficient to ensure that it's clear that
> the util bundle is produced by aggregating util and util-r42.
> Holly
> On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 6:39 PM, David Jencks <> wrote:
>> WRT util, I disagree.  There's only one real output bundle from the util goo, org.apache.aries:org.apache.aries.util.
 The util-42 and util-parent are goo necessary (AFAICT) to build against 2 osgi framework
levels but neither one should be released.  If we do anything it should be to override the
deploy plugin in the util-parent and util-42 modules to skip deploy.  I don't see a need to
change the groupId or artifactId of the util bundle.
>> util is completely different from blueprint where the "bundle" artifact contains
a lot of stuff all of which is intended to also be available separately.  The util-42 artifact
is compoletely useless by itself and should not be released.

View raw message