aries-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <>
Subject Snapshots while a release is in progress
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2012 10:16:03 GMT
Hi all,

first many thanks to Holly for organizing the Aries release. This is
really a lot of work and she is doinga great job making it possible.
Btw. I hope aries can switch to a simpler release concept soon but this
is not what I wanted to discuss.

I have a concern about the old snapshots when a release takes place.
Currently the snapshots are removed from the apache snapshot repo as
soon as a release is started. This means that dependent projects like
karaf have to adapt all the time.

So for each part of aries that is released we first have to switch to
the next snapshot version as the release is not yet there and then to
the release version. Even this effort only helps for local builds at the
moment as the new snapshots do not seem to work through Jenkins. So each
developer also has to build the aries trunk all the time.

So basically this means that the karaf build on Jenkins is now red for
24 days.

So to improve this I propose to keep the old snapshots for some months
so dependent projects have some time to adapt to a new release or
snapshot. What do you think? Is this possible?

Christian Schneider

Open Source Architect
Talend Application Integration Division

View raw message