aries-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Build stability, parent changes, and build #1469
Date Tue, 29 May 2012 23:01:58 GMT
On Tuesday, May 29, 2012 10:49:22 PM Holly Cummins wrote:
> >> Ironically, I've been waiting
> >> (for a week) for a clean build, so that I can deliver changes very
> >> similar to the ones which Dan's made
> >> (https://builds.apache.org/job/Aries/1469/changes). Dan's changes
> >> switch from using the snapshot parents to the released parents, which
> >> allows a build to be done without building parent first.
> >
> > Well, the main reason is that it actually allows the SNAPSHOTs of things
> > like blueprint and transaction and such that we deploy to the snapshot
> > repository to actually be usable.     Without the change, you cannot
> > build things like Karaf/trunk (which uses those snapshots right now)
> > without first building Aries locally.   More in a sec.....
>
> So does this mean that we'll never be able to try out the latest
> version of the parent poms without doing a parent release before we
> switch to them? This doesn't seem ideal to me. However, I don't think
> I really understand the issue. What do you mean by 'allowing'
> SNAPSHOTs of blueprint? Do you mean download these snapshots from a
> repo, or build them as part of the build of another project?

Basically, Karaf is depending on the 1.0.0-SNAPSHOT of several of the
bundles as a bunch of normal maven dependencies.   That's a good thing right
now as they then testing a bunch of scenarios and such which is really
helpful.   However, that does mean that everything that the 1.0.0-SNAPSHOT
versions require need to be in the snapshot repo (or other repo they have
configured).   What was happening is that the parents where being wiped by
Nexus and thus the Karaf builds were failing to resolve the parents and thus
the builds were failing.   We just need to make sure that everything we
deploy into the snapshot repo is really a snapshot for a non-released
version number.

--
Daniel Kulp