aries-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <>
Subject Re: CDI annotations in OSGi
Date Sun, 25 Mar 2012 16:01:48 GMT
Getting OWB to work in a plain osgi environment should not be too hard.  I think the CDI annotation
model is a lot better in all ways than blueprint.

I think what's missing is the connection to OSGI services.  To be more than a self-contained
set of components with no relationship to anything outside the bundle you need a way to consume
osgi services from CDI components and expose CDI beans as services.  I haven't seen a proposal
on how to do this.

I'm also not sure if CDI will automatically drag in most of javaee....

david jencks

On Mar 25, 2012, at 3:13 AM, Christian Schneider wrote:

> Found a newer thread.
> Seems a lot has improved since the first thread I found. I will try to get this running
and report on what I have found. Perhaps Charles can also comment on this as he seems to be
one of the drivers behind the efforts on the openejb side. I am not sure if he watches this
list. I will also ask on the openejb list.
> Christian
> Am 25.03.2012 12:04, schrieb Christian Schneider:
>> That would be ideal of course. Does anyone know if openejb could be used for this?
>> I found this page which shows how to use openejb in OSGi:
>> and I found an interesting thread:
>> So this sounds like it would work but not that nicely. You have to require the openejb
bundle and you have to use an Activator.
>> Ideally I would like this to work like blueprint. Where you have an extender that
finds the trigger (META-INF/beans.xml) and initializes the bundle accordingly.
>> Additionally it seems that openejb seems to have some dependencies on eclipse RCP
bundles which is not good for a server deployment.
> --
> Christian Schneider
> Open Source Architect
> Talend Application Integration Division