aries-dev mailing list archives

From David Bosschaert <>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Logging for Aries modules
Date Wed, 01 Feb 2012 15:43:07 GMT
On 1 February 2012 15:29, Felix Meschberger <> wrote:
> Hi,
> Am 01.02.2012 um 14:53 schrieb David Bosschaert:
>> My issue with it is that it brings in 2 dependencies: the SLF4J api
>> and an SLF4J implementation bundle.
>> In the context where I want to use the JNDI component there is already
>> a log subsystem in place, which can be reached through the OSGi
>> LogService, so adding those 2 SLF4J bundles brings in dependencies
>> that appear like noise.
> Got it.
> In my setup I already use SLF4J (and LogService and Log4J and Commons Logging). Adding
yet another logging API just adds another dependency to my setup and adds CPU consumption
and learning curve experiences and makes my users wonder.

Well, if Aries has a small log API in its util component that wouldn't
add any dependencies, because most things in Aries already depend on
That component could then delegate to SLF4J, the OSGi LogService or
whatever bringing only those dependencies in that are actually used.
So for your use-case you should still be able to use it with SLF4J,
but for my usecase I don't need to.

View raw message