aries-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Module versions in trunk
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2011 20:01:51 GMT
Maybe you didn't mean exactly what you said as (a)?  Now that there are a bunch of released
versions what exactly is wrong with e.g. blueprint-core 0.4.1-SNAPSHOT rather than 0.4-next-SNAPSHOT?

I didn't understand (a) even while the release was pending.

I'd guess this might have something to do with the policy of choosing the version number as
part of the release process.  Maybe this policy could be revisited.  What would be wrong with
having the trunk version be the <expected next release version>-SNAPSHOT and changing
the <expected-next-release-version> up or down as changes accumulate and/or are removed?

I think adopting an aries-only versioning scheme may confuse a lot of potential consumers.

david jencks

On Nov 8, 2011, at 10:51 AM, Jeremy Hughes wrote:

> Hi, last month I posted this [1]:
>> OK, so I'm replying to my own email :-) A sticking point is the
>> version in the pom during the staging of releases and after the
>> release. a) we don't want to choose the next version of a module while
>> releasing the current one. b) the version needs to be
>> something-SNAPSHOT to keep maven happy. c) it can't be
>> currentrelease-SNAPSHOT because in maven that has the semantics of
>> being a build leading up to the currentrelease.
>> So, as a suggestion, during the release process, move the trunk to
>> currentrelease-next-SNAPSHOT ... e.g. we're releasing 0.4, so after
>> the staging is complete, trunk will be 0.4-next-SNAPSHOT. I think that
>> solves all three constraints above.
> I'm currently reintegrating the release branch into trunk, so the
> versions of the modules in trunk will change to become <latest
> release>-next-SNAPSHOT. Rather than have a mixture of modules in the
> form <next release>-SNAPSHOT and <latest release>-next-SNAPSHOT I'm
> planning on changing the versions used in the rest of trunk (those
> that weren't just released). Before I do this though, does anyone see
> any problem with this. One oddity will be modules that haven't yet had
> a release - they'll be changed to 0.0.0-next-SNAPSHOT.
> Thanks,
> Jeremy
> [1]

View raw message