aries-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1205487 - in /aries/trunk/blueprint: blueprint-bundle/ blueprint-core/ blueprint-core/src/main/java/org/apache/aries/blueprint/container/ blueprint-core/src/main/java/org/apache/aries/blueprint/services/ blueprint-core/src/main/java/org/
Date Wed, 23 Nov 2011 19:52:55 GMT
On Wednesday, November 23, 2011 7:30:17 PM Timothy Ward wrote:
> I see this commit as, at best, a stop-gap measure.

Agreed.   But we need a migration path for users of these API's that doesn't
break everything right now.

> We should not be
> exporting these implementation packages, but I understand that they are
> relied upon externally (for the moment) until we have enough API pieces to
> get everyone migrated off. I would like the blueprint container, di and
> reflect packages to add the following:
> deprecated="true";mandatory:="deprecated"
> Clients that need them can add the deprecated attribute and continue to
> work, but we prevent new clients from wiring to packages that are intended
> to be removed. Otherwise we're going to go round the same loop all over
> again and never be able to package the bundle properly.

I agree with adding deprecated="true"  and will do so shortly.   I don't agree
with the second part *for now*.   That would still prevent existing
applications from being able to use the new BP without going through
modifications, rebuilds, new releases, etc....    Basically, I want to get a
version out that doesn't break all the applications out there, but provides
the new API's and functionality that is needed.   Give the projects time to
migrate to the new API's (and fully test them), then make it harder (or
impossible) to use the old API's by adding the second flag.

> This approach could also be used with the cm code until we have an
> understanding for what API that requires and package it appropriately.

Daniel Kulp -
Talend Community Coder -

View raw message