aries-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Hughes <>
Subject blueprint distro release - NOT
Date Wed, 26 Oct 2011 13:26:14 GMT
As part of cutting releases for the Blueprint bundles and the Aries
bundles it depends on I'm now staring at the blueprint-distro module.
This hasn't been released yet. The idea was for it to be a zip of the
latest functional bundles in Aries Blueprint and other Aries bundles
they depend on that aren't in Aries Blueprint. So right now that would

+- org.apache.aries.blueprint:org.apache.aries.blueprint.annotation.api:jar:0.3.2:compile
+- org.apache.aries.blueprint:org.apache.aries.blueprint.annotation.impl:jar:0.3.2:compile
|  \- org.apache.aries:org.apache.aries.util:jar:0.4:compile
+- org.apache.aries.blueprint:org.apache.aries.blueprint.api:jar:0.3:compile
+- org.apache.aries.blueprint:org.apache.aries.blueprint.core:jar:0.4:compile
|  +- org.apache.aries.quiesce:org.apache.aries.quiesce.api:jar:0.3:compile
|  \- org.apache.aries.proxy:org.apache.aries.proxy.api:jar:0.4:compile
\- org.apache.aries.blueprint:org.apache.aries.blueprint.jexl.evaluator:jar:0.1.0:compile

There are a few more dependencies, outside Apache Aries which I've
pulled out here:

\- org.apache.xbean:xbean-finder:jar:3.7:compile
   +- org.apache.xbean:xbean-bundleutils:jar:3.7:compile
   \- org.slf4j:slf4j-api:jar:1.5.11:compile
\- org.apache.commons:commons-jexl:jar:2.0:compile
   \- commons-logging:commons-logging:jar:1.1.1:compile

Note: commons-jexl for example is optional.

Also, the impl bundles aren't pulled in to the distro through the use
of the maven dependency plugin. I could hand code the pom to pull them
in, but it got me thinking: really, what is the use of the distro zip.
We'd like something easy for users to download to get started writing
Blueprint bundles. IMHO we have something like that in the
samples/blog/blog-assembly module, but that of course pulls in enough
of a 'platform' to run a complete application.

So my proposal for now is I'm not going to release distro. Users will
have blog-assembly when that is released to depend on the new
Blueprint releases. I think using that as a starting point for
creating an Aries application is a better approach than creating a
distro for Blueprint that means a user has to hunt around for
non-Apache Aries dependencies.

I'd be interested in any other view on this though.

View raw message