aries-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <>
Subject Re: DEPENDENCIES file
Date Mon, 03 Oct 2011 16:09:53 GMT
I'm the origin of the DEPENDENCIES file generated by the maven-remote-resources-plugin (before
that the same info was being mistakenly included in the generated NOTICE file) but for an
osgi project I think it is misleading and better dropped.  It was supposed to give you a hint
about the other jars you'd probably want to use with the jar with the DEPENDENCIES file, a
function better served by package imports and OBR.

david jencks

On Oct 3, 2011, at 8:41 AM, Kevan Miller wrote:

> On Sep 30, 2011, at 11:35 AM, Jeremy Hughes wrote:
>> Hi Kevan,
>> On another thread (see bottom of this email) a few days ago you said:
>> "This archive contains DISCLAIMER and DEPENDENCIES files which are not
>> in the svn tag."
>> There doesn't seem to be consistency across Apache on whether to
>> include the DEPENDENCIES file or not. What are the arguments for not
>> including it? Certainly Apache Felix favour including it [1]
> That's a decision of the Felix project. There's no ASF requirement for such a file (ASF
requirements are for a LICENSE/NOTICE file). If the Aries project would find a DEPENDENCIES
file useful, then by all means include the file. If the file is useful, why only include in
source releases? Why not include the file in SVN?
> In my experience, the DEPENDENDENCIES do not necessarily reflect the artifacts that might
be used in an actual runtime environment. DEPENDENCIES for a jar/bundle are more useful than
DEPENDENCIES for an entire project...
> I object to a DISCLAIMER file being included in any future Aries' releases. I have no
objection to DEPENDENCIES files -- just question their utility. I probably wouldn't have mentioned
DEPENDENCIES if I wasn't mentioning DISCLAIMER...
> --kevan

View raw message