aries-dev mailing list archives

From Holly Cummins <>
Subject Re: Another weaving problem?
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2011 14:38:48 GMT
Richard Ellis wrote:

> I'm not going to comment on whether final methods perform better or not,

> but the other reason the methods are marked final is to stop people
> overriding them when they shouldn't. There is no reason for another
> (or anything outside of Aries) to override the methods added by the
> proxy. The methods are (and should) only be called by the Aries code
> it needs to perform proxy actions.

That's a really good point Rich, which I should have added in my comment.
We should mark methods final for semantic reasons (like "People have no
business overriding this"), rather than performance reasons. That has the
added bonus that it's clear when a method is marked final what the
underlying intention is. Well, clearer, at least!

Unless stated otherwise above: