aries-dev mailing list archives

From zoe slattery <>
Subject Re: internal version conflict in aries application (at least)
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2011 17:51:14 GMT

> OK. So, apologies for hashing/re-hashing the subject... And yes, I'm negligent of not
paying close attention to the various discussions. But that doesn't mean we can't be discussing
now... If a 0.3.0 cannot be generated, then so be it... Just help us understand why...

Changing to use OSGi semantic versioning was complex and the subject of
much discussion on the list. I did most of Maven work to make it happen
so I'm probably best placed to explain, but even so it's complex. If you
want to understand the rationale Alasdair gave a set of links to earlier
discussions, however a better place to start (where we started in fact)
was to read the OSGi alliance white paper
www.*osgi*.org/wiki/uploads/Links/*SemanticVersioning*.pdf. There is an
important paragraph towards the end where bundle versions are discussed.

Each bundle is now released separately as it must be if each bundle is
to be versioned separately. In the past we used a release by module
scheme but the maven release plugin will not handle having independently
versioned submodules - so we had to abandon this way of working.

At release time the version of each bundle is determined by comparing it
(in particular changes to packages) with the last released version. So -
a bundle being developed at say, 0.3.1-SNAPSHOT might well get released
at 0.3.1 or 0.4.0 depending on what had changed since the last release.
This is all documented on the web pages

There are aspects of the scheme that we implemented that none of us
like, we spent a long time trying to improve on it. But, in the end we
are an OSGi project and implementing OSGi properly was more important to
us than a simple release scheme.

If you want to find some way to release from 0.3 and honour the OSGi
versioning policy that we implemented ... it might be possible. I can't
think how and given that it took (iirc) between 4 and 6 weeks of my time
to switch us to semantic versioning I think you would be better to take
code from trunk because I think it will take less time.