aries-dev mailing list archives

From zoe slattery <>
Subject Re: internal version conflict in aries application (at least)
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2011 09:12:02 GMT
On 01/06/2011 03:16, David Jencks wrote:
> [...]
scheme. In switching release scheme one assumption was that nothing would ever be released
from the 0.3 branch again so maybe it ought to be deleted? Any future releases will always
be from trunk.
>>> That may not be a safe assumption.  Geronimo would like to get a release out
pretty soon and there is little evidence at the moment that trunk will be stable enough to
be usable.  On the other hand 0.3 also has its share of blocking bugs.
>> Releasing from the 0.3 branch has some implications for Aries release management
- I suspect that it has the potential to create a lot of work so I would encourage you to
use what is in trunk if you possibly can.
> I'd like to  figure out an appropriate version number for the 0.3 branch and change to
it.   It would be great to get trunk released but every time I turn around I find another
problem apparently with the weaving/proxying code and I'm not confident we can find and fix
all the problems quickly enough.
> Locally I made a application branch that appeared to work fine with
geronimo.  What do you expect to be a problem with changing the versions in 0.3-RCx to
I think there are several issues here. The thing that concerns me most
is that some months ago we had a lengthy discussion on this list about
whether we should move to a release by bundle process and implement OSGi
semantic versioning correctly. This discussion ended in a vote and we
agreed to move forward and modify our development and release process to
implement OSGi semantic versioning. If you want a release from the 0.3
branch you are overturning something that we voted on agreed.

As far as development versions go I don't think what you call the
versions in the 0.3 branch matters a lot. So, as long as you never
release from it I don't really see an issue (although I may well have
missed something). If you ever want a release from that branch someone
will need to work through and figure out how to align what you want with
the OSGi semantic versioning scheme that we set up. I don't think this
is a trivial task, so that, and the belief that there are significant
enhancements in trunk that would benefit Geronimo, is why I am strongly
encouraging you to use trunk.

> thanks
> david jencks
>> Zoe