aries-dev mailing list archives

From Emily Jiang <>
Subject Re: semantic version packages and bundles
Date Thu, 07 Apr 2011 09:09:33 GMT
Thanks Felix fo your reply.

The plus side for changing packaging version is not to forget it when we do
a release. Just one concern: we may end up increase the package version too
many times as each commit might end up bumping up package version when
changing APIs in the same package. This could make package minor or major
version number extremely high. For an example, we might need to end up
release 4.10.0 in 0.4 release while the same package number was 0.4.1 in the
0.3 release. Will this cause confusion?

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 7:55 AM, Felix Meschberger <>wrote:

> Hi,
> Am Mittwoch, den 06.04.2011, 21:51 +0100 schrieb Emily Jiang:
> > Am I right to say that we don't need to change the package or bundle
> version
> > on the trunk even if we change apis, as the versions will be updated when
> we
> > do a release?
> > I am about to commiting some api changes and would like to make sure:).
> I am not sure about the current policy, but my POV would be to change
> the package version as you change (I hope extend not removing
> something ;-) ) the API. Depending on the RM to do this, is half the
> bill of completely forgetting it (been there, done that, unfortunately).
> As for bundle version: this should be increased to the next SNAPSHOT
> version number on release. So nothing to do here IMHO. This probably can
> and should be deferred until release time.
> Regards
> Felix

Emily Jiang